Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there such a thing as a spring that has no or very minimal drop but a significantly stiffer rate than stock?

Yes, I know that a lower COG is better for handling. But I want to stiffen up my suspension while retaining my OEM wheels (for the moment) and a dropped New Edge with OEM wheels looks like a clown car.

I will be getting strut and shocks of course - but would like stiffer springs without much of a drop. I dont even want the 1 inch drop from C springs.

·
missippi roolz
9,244 Posts
I don't know if you can get any "less" of a drop than the Ford Racing springs.

Is the only reason you're not wanting to drop because of the way the wheels look? Like are you planning to drop it at any point in the future? If so, just get mild drop springs and put proper hub-centric wheel spacers on your wheels (I got extended Grade 8 studs when I did this on my Mach 1 to make it "most legitimate"). Then you'll have a nice stance and the OEM wheels won't look ridiculous.

Mustangs pre-2015 need to be dropped at least an inch. They're just too goddamned tall for what they're supposed to be.

·
Registered
926 Posts
You could go the coilover route, it would definitely stiffen up and improve the ride, but allow you to adjust the height to the stock height. Then and if you get aftermarket wheels and you want, you can lower it thus eliminating the need to have to do the suspension twice. just my two cents

EDIT; i also don't think a lowered newedge looks bad on stock wheels, i had the stock starfish wheels and currently have bullitts (17x8 & 17X10.5) and i think it looks great.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
You could go the coilover route, it would definitely stiffen up and improve the ride, but allow you to adjust the height to the stock height. Then and if you get aftermarket wheels and you want, you can lower it thus eliminating the need to have to do the suspension twice. just my two cents

EDIT; i also don't think a lowered newedge looks bad on stock wheels, i had the stock starfish wheels and currently have bullitts (17x8 & 17X10.5) and i think it looks great.

Interesting stuff. I didnt realize coilovers could adjust up that high. Yeah, it varies widely on how OEM wheels look. Some cars/wheels/colors like yours pull it off pretty well, others dont.

Im eventually getting aftermarket wheels, but they are not in the cars for the immediate future ($$$) as exhaust and suspension are eating up tons of my budget at the moment.

·
missippi roolz
9,244 Posts

Didn't even think about coilovers. That'd be a good way to cover the bases. Albeit, at a substantial price increase over just springs. Also the potential for added noise.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I just put coil overs on, the clearance around my wheels are tight but it does clear. I run a 275 up front though.
You will need other than oem shocks. The coilvers do not fit well over oem shocks (atleast mine didn't ). I ended up getting a set of strange shocks (strange coilovers too).
There were a ton of fitment issues with the stock shock, from the notch in the coilover not fitting over the shock to not clearing the upper plate that the bump stop sits on, not too mention the dust boot wouldn't fit. You will also need caster camber plates as there was no way the shock would fit into stock stuck tower bushings with the coilovers, atleast with not doing a bunch of fab work.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I would recommend the Ford Racing B Springs. The drop is slight (basically the same springs as the Mach 1 and Bullitt came with). They are stiffer as the spring compresses (progessive rate).

That will your most budget friendly option.

You also won't need CC plates as the drop is not significant enough.

I'm personally on Ford Racing C Springs (specific rate springs) and they are stuff but they didn't drop a whole lot until I removed the Isolators...

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
I didn't change my springs but I did install Koni STR.T shocks and struts. It made a big difference but my original shocks and struts were pretty much worn out. They can be used with lowering springs later if you decide to go that way.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didn't change my springs but I did install Koni STR.T shocks and struts. It made a big difference but my original shocks and struts were pretty much worn out. They can be used with lowering springs later if you decide to go that way.
Yeah, thats what I was actually leaning to. Ive had STR.Ts on other cars and am a fan of their bang for the buck factor.

---------- Post added at 10:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 PM ----------

I would recommend the Ford Racing B Springs. The drop is slight (basically the same springs as the Mach 1 and Bullitt came with). They are stiffer as the spring compresses (progessive rate).

That will your most budget friendly option.

You also won't need CC plates as the drop is not significant enough.

I'm personally on Ford Racing C Springs (specific rate springs) and they are stuff but they didn't drop a whole lot until I removed the Isolators...
Yeah, I had initially zeroed in on B springs, but then I started seeing images of cars with too low of a drop with B springs, but Im thinking if I go with fresh isolators during install, it should minimize that drop somewhat.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Go with urethane isolators they will give you a tad more height compared to rubber replacements.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts