Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Typically, you need:

1.) Springs - to lower car and adjust spring rate.
2.) Caster / Camber Plates or Camber Bolts (Eibach $27 @ TireRack) - to get back 1 degree of lost Camber when lowering.
3.) Front end alignment - fixing Camber and making sure Toe is correct.
4.) Panhard Bar - to move axle 1/8" to 3/8" back toward the passenger's side once the car is lowered. The amount of fuel in the tank will move the rear 1/8" Right to Left as the car is emptied. Probably set with 1/2 tank of fuel (avg.)
5.) Adjustable control arm. - When you lower, the pinion angle on the drive shaft is changed. You can either put in a new Adjustable Upper (3rd) link or do the Lower Control Arms (easier, but more chance of increasing NVH).
6.) Shocks and Struts - Hotchkis will most likely have a recomendation or sell a matched set for your springs. I drove mine with the stock ones for about 12K miles now and I really can't say that Tokico D-Specs are necessary. I've seen improvements, but it doesn't seem to be absolutely necessary. If you are on a budget, but are doing the work yourself, you could get away with running the stockers until you can get some better / adjustable ones.
7.) Upper Strut Bearing Caps - the stockers are "single use", but if you pay attention when you take the car apart, you can put it back precisely like it was and not have the dreaded "popping" noise.

I went low dollar the first year. I did the Springs, Panhard rod, LCAs, and Camber Bolts. Drove like a dream compared to stock. Always can add more perf. parts to improve. In perspective, the stock car is acceptable by many drivers, so it is up to you. You will not damage anything (tires, shaft and gears) as long as you make sure your alignment is done and you have the correct pinion angle. Also, make sure you install any LCAs with the proper orientation for offset. You will notice the stockers are not symetrical, so install any LCAs where there is no binding in the rear. If you follow these simple guidelines, you can make your wife happy, get your car lowered, and have something for her to get you next year.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Every car is different. Outside of the springs and panhard you have, the only REQUIRED thing is camber adjustment and an alignment. You may find that after putting in the springs you DO NOT need adjustable control arms. This is all dependent on how the lowering affects your pinion angle.

As stated, if you have the tools and have some mechanical savy, do the drop and then check your pinion angle and see if you need adjustable control arms. If you are going to have this stuff done, then do the whole thing together to cut down on overall labor.

You will be surprised how well the car handles with the springs, panhard, camber bolts and an alignment.

You just don't want to have the car track funny, ruin your tires, or tear up your gears.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts