Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my car used to ride on ProKit springs. Now that I really am looking at doing well at the track I want to hear some theories on how I should set up my car. Last time out I swapped the rear springs for the OEM ones to soften up the rear. I left the ProKit springs up front. Is that the right move to make? Should I put the stock springs in front too? I kinda like the old school stance the car has but I'm not sure that without the stockers up front I am maximizing the weight transfer and optimizing the squat characteristics that I could be achieving. Another question that I have is now that the rear is at the stock height, where should I have my control arms at? They are still in the lowest setting on my BMR relocation brackets and at quite an angle. Is too much angle going to adversely effect the performance? Is too much angle bad? Should I remove the brackets and go with the original mounting points, leave them be, or move them to the intermediate setting? Let's hear what you guys have to say about proper weight transfer and maximizing my rear wheel traction. Just a little more info; I drive an auto with a pretty high stall converter, been running 1.6xx to 1.7xx 60' times, loosing traction when the tranny shifts into second causing me to pedal it a bit. Running 12.2 at the finish line and would really like to knock a couple of tenths off of my time.

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
I hate to sound bias and like a troll, but....BMR Springs front and rear.

Mixing the stock springs with the Eibach is NOT going to get you anywhere.

If you are at stock ride height in the back, you can still benefit from a steep LCA angle because you have an automatic. For example, our Auto GT runs our springs, with the brackets in the lowest position, and cuts 1.50 sixties on stock 18" wheels with DR's.

Do you have the newest BMR Bracket design with the 3-positions, or the older 2-position pieces?

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hate to sound bias and like a troll, but....BMR Springs front and rear.

Mixing the stock springs with the Eibach is NOT going to get you anywhere.

If you are at stock ride height in the back, you can still benefit from a steep LCA angle because you have an automatic. For example, our Auto GT runs our springs, with the brackets in the lowest position, and cuts 1.50 sixties on stock 18" wheels with DR's.

Do you have the newest BMR Bracket design with the 3-positions, or the older 2-position pieces?

I know, my springs are the only non-BMR suspension part on my car, sorry.

So should I just put the stock springs in the front? Will that help? Or should I swap the ProKit springs back in the rear? I would think I would get better launch characteristics with the stock springs all the way around as oppossed to lowering springs all around. I probably only have 3-4 more track days before it gets too hot to race, but I might go with your drag springs next winter. Be the salesman and tell me how I'm going to benefit by going with your drag springs. Also want to know about your extreme rear anti roll bar and how that will help me get into the 11's. I don't drive this car much on the street anymore, maybe 2-3 times a month. I will be on the Prokit springs for the summer until I start racing again, but I'm not at issue with running the extreme anti roll bar 24/7.

So by keeping the LCA's in the lowest bracket will raise my IC right? But is there a point when the IC gets too high in relation to the center of gravity and hurts performance? Just seems like it would get to a point where the foward force on the control arms would transfer the force upwards, lifting the chassis as oppossed to pushing it foward. Am I overthinking this?

I have the older 2 position brackets. Are the new 3 position brackets necessary? Let me know as I'm gonna weld these ones in before next weekends Midnight Mayhem.

Oh, and thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
Stock springs, will work better than the pro-kit.

Yes, you are 100% correct about the angle being too steep, causing a very short IC that is also too high up on the neutral line, causing excessive anti-squat. However, this is on paper, the real results come from the track. I feel our angle is a little too steep, in terms of running the absolute best time possible...but we bracket race our car, so consistency (traction) outweighs the performance results.

Our spring are not really drag-springs, but they seem to have gotten that reputation simply because they work, and work well. The rear design we have, in a way, copies the factory design with the hourglass shape which aids in traction and axle stability. The reason our springs work well is because they feature a 165F and 160R rate. The "handling" springs on the market are just simply too stiff. Now, a stiff rear spring can and will work good, I am thinking you could save some money and start by just replacing the front Pro-Kit with the front BMR. I think you would have great results.

The 2-position is fine. You will want to run the bottom hole with the Pro-Kits and the top hole with the stockers.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Ive got v6 springs with 1 1/2 coils cut out on the front. which gives me that old school stance. which I like but Im not sure how that would be on your car.
As far as track is concerned for the cost it works out pretty good. But im thinking of going with the drag kit soon

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Stock springs, will work better than the pro-kit.

Yes, you are 100% correct about the angle being too steep, causing a very short IC that is also too high up on the neutral line, causing excessive anti-squat. However, this is on paper, the real results come from the track. I feel our angle is a little too steep, in terms of running the absolute best time possible...but we bracket race our car, so consistency (traction) outweighs the performance results.

Our spring are not really drag-springs, but they seem to have gotten that reputation simply because they work, and work well. The rear design we have, in a way, copies the factory design with the hourglass shape which aids in traction and axle stability. The reason our springs work well is because they feature a 165F and 160R rate. The "handling" springs on the market are just simply too stiff. Now, a stiff rear spring can and will work good, I am thinking you could save some money and start by just replacing the front Pro-Kit with the front BMR. I think you would have great results.

The 2-position is fine. You will want to run the bottom hole with the Pro-Kits and the top hole with the stockers.

I will be swapping my front springs out tonight then. I will also move my control arms to the top hole. We will see if I can get an improvement on my 60's.

Won't be able to weld my brackets before the weekend but I should be all right. I'll have the control arms in the upper position which should put a littl less stress on the brackets and track prep is not the best. I haven't gone quicker than 1.6 anyways.

Are you saying that I should run your springs up front with my stockers in the rear? Are they stock height? I've been looking at the Eibach Drag Springs along with some different dampners. I'm running Bilstein HD's which have been fabulous for all around driving, but now that it is a track and occaisional weekend car, I'm thinking I can get a little more track oriented. What should I be looking for in a set of dampners. Not real sure If I want to go adjustable but that might be an option if there is not a good set that I can just bolt up.

·
Back For More
249 Posts
What does "IC" stand for in this thread?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts