Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gentlemen Im new to the forum and just got my first mustang after so many years of wanting to get one. Well, very simple situation, I think I already know whats wrong with it but wanted a second opinion or a third.

I got the car with no thermostat. When I would have the radiator cap all the way on, my upper hose will get hard and car will spudder. I would let the cap half way loose and hose didnt get hard but water would waste and would have to continue to add water every other time I stopped somewhere.

I replaced the thermostat with a mr gasket 180'. I drove the car from miami to tampa and didnt over heat until about half way to my trip and I had to release the pressure, add water and leave the cap half way loose again.

I made it home and only alittle water needed to get added. I tried to bleed the system again, let it run until the thermostat opened and added more water and attempted to try the same proccess again. Well, the car needless to say did alot better but with time water would disappear and car will overheat again.

In conclusion, right now I just add water once a day and drilled a whole on the cap to breath. When the cap is on I feel more horsepower but when the cap is the way it is its alittle slower not too much. It only spudders when I dont have air or not enough water flowing.

It also spudders when the hose is hard after driveing it for a while, never does it unless I go driveing. I have an idea of what it can be but dont want to jump into conclusions. Im not a mechanic but know enough to get by.

I replaced the sensor above the thermostat as well. I have another sensor too that goes in by the intake which looks the same as the other one but have not installed it. Not sure if it could be a sensor computer problem or a mechanical problem. I dont have foamy white on the dipstick, Ive tried that too. I also replaced the bottom hose which made a big differece too.

Let me know what you think Im stuck in a nutt shell here. :eek:

·
Registered
370 Posts
is it overheating?? are your plugs fowling out? I had a similar computer problem last summer.

·
Registered
370 Posts
clog? junk in the system? Radiator bad?
that was my second guess.. It really doesn't seem like a computer problem, sounds like the pressure is building up and possibly buildup on the radiator

·
Who Care's ... Boost It!
538 Posts
is your thermastat in backwards?
DAMN!!!! straight up stole my question right out of my mouth while I was sleep LOL. I bet ya the t-stat is backwards if you are getting a crap load of pressure from your radiator. I wouldn't beleive you would have that much pressure build up by cloggage unless a rat ate it's way into your lower hose and got to fat and got stuck LOL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts