Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys so I just spun a rod bearing a while ago and wanted to know where would be a good place to buy a new set? And also what else should be replaced while the oil pan is off?

·
Mr. Stangarang
2,620 Posts
If you spun a bearing (which I did a month ago) your crank is going to be toast. If you have any plans of making over 400hp you should build the motor while it's down.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you spun a bearing (which I did a month ago) your crank is going to be toast. If you have any plans of making over 400hp you should build the motor while it's down.
I do plan on it but I will be buying a forged short block, where Sid you get the bearings?

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
Not always, they often can be salvaged, but will need to be reground/polished, and use an oversize bearing.

I had a friend that spun several bearings in his car, and did that all without even pulling the motor. He dropped the K and the oil pan and just went to town.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not always, they often can be salvaged, but will need to be reground/polished, and use an oversize bearing.

I had a friend that spun several bearings in his car, and did that all without even pulling the motor. He dropped the K and the oil pan and just went to town.
Yea my buddy told me he has done a couple where he just replaced the bearings, I heard the noise and drove home about 5 miles and parked it, my buddy's going to be looking at it tomorrow so hopefully everything turns out fine

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
if you kept driving it the crank is probably done for as far as simply replacing bearings. you need to have your friend or someone mic the crank and see if it needs ground. if there is any type of scratch you'll need it ground/polished, and will have to buy the proper size bearing.

if you're going to forge it then why not just buy a complete forged shortblock with all new bearings instead of just rebuilding yours?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts