Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well.. My motor has been knocking pretty good for a while. Finally found that my rod bearings are bad I guess. I stopped driving and everything. But the question I have, Is this something fairly easy to replace myself? I have some experience here and there. But I'm no professional, obviously. I was told I can drop the oil pan and replace them. Any suggestions or tips would be nice. Thanks!

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
Well.. My motor has been knocking pretty good for a while. Finally found that my rod bearings are bad I guess. I stopped driving and everything. But the question I have, Is this something fairly easy to replace myself? I have some experience here and there. But I'm no professional, obviously. I was told I can drop the oil pan and replace them. Any suggestions or tips would be nice. Thanks!
Its a little more than that. Gotta drop the k or pull the motor. Pull the timing cover chains.oil pan unbolt the crank. Machine the crank. Then re install

·
Banned
1,738 Posts
Sorry but everytime I have rebuilt a motor that was due to a spun rod bearing the crank was bent as well. I would have the crank checked and a reputable shop rebuild it.

·
Resident Diabetic...
1,827 Posts
Its a little more than that. Gotta drop the k or pull the motor. Pull the timing cover chains.oil pan unbolt the crank. Machine the crank. Then re install
So it is possible to do this and leave the heads on the block?

I have a spun rod bearing as well. I am leaning to swapping in a 4v mark VIII 4v. But I am really cheap and might need to consider this option...

·
Registered
998 Posts
for the money it takes to usually have the engine rebuilt you can buy the forged internals and have the shop build it for about the same price.

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
for the money it takes to usually have the engine rebuilt you can buy the forged internals and have the shop build it for about the same price.
True.

I had a friend spin a bearing in his Mustang, and spent over $2k on it. He could have dropped in a new motor (even a 4v) for less than that.

Theorhetically you could leave the engine in the car with the heads on, but it would be a colossal pain. You'd still have to drop the trans, take out the rear plate, drop the k frame, take of the accessory drive and timing cover etc...

·
Resident Diabetic...
1,827 Posts
True.

I had a friend spin a bearing in his Mustang, and spent over $2k on it. He could have dropped in a new motor (even a 4v) for less than that.

Theorhetically you could leave the engine in the car with the heads on, but it would be a colossal pain. You'd still have to drop the trans, take out the rear plate, drop the k frame, take of the accessory drive and timing cover etc...
Yea that is not worth it while the motor is in the car...

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
My brother changed a rod bearing in a Bronco with the motor still in the car. But you could drop the pan on it without a lot of additional work.

He knew it most likely wouldn't last because of damage to the crank but it was good enough for a while if he babied it until he could trade it off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts