Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive done a little search, came back with very little.

Whenever I turn my wheel, usually dealing with the right (its not as bad going left) I get the sound of a haunted door opening coming from my suspension in front.

What is it im needing to replace to get that crap to stop?

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
dude i actually have this problem currently... im wondering if something on the steering needs to be lubed up or something...?

Example- i park the car for the night and it sits in the drive for about 12 or so. when i turn it on and begin to pull backwards and turn the wheel to get out of the driveway it kind of creeks. Then when i turn it harder continuing to back out it squeaks maybe one or two more times. Then after that i dont hear anything...i feel like its just something that needs to be oiled or something...?

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mine never goes away... it can be faintly heard at higher speeds, but is VERY prevalent at near stops.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
huh...well sounds like we have different problems. lol sorry man just trying to complain with ya...haha hopefully you figure it out. Im hoping that mine is just something small.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
i actually had a issue like this with my wifes Alero. Creaked and moaned turning in parking lots or when going slow enough to hear it. Turned out to be a power steering pump, i changed the fluid in it and it stoped. Lord knows for how long tho. Just my .02

·
I <3 Boost
7,687 Posts
ive heard of this being everything from the rack being bad to ball joints to bushings. i had this issue and it was bad.... and i mean bad, it turned out to be my struts being blown and when i turn the struts creaked.

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
Via a Ford TSB, the specific fix for a creaking sound during steering action is to replace both of the K-member bolt tubes that the steering rack bolts go through. The steering rack bushings are mounted onto these tubes.

Remove the steering rack to k-member retaining nuts, pull the steering rack forward away from the k-member. Push the long bolts out through the back of the k-member. You will see two tubes sticking out of the front of the k-member. Using pliers and quite a bit of muscle, grasp and pull these tubes from the front of the k-member. Replacements are available from Ford at $6-$8 each.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Its the steering rack collars and bushings, the bushings detereroae and the inner collars rust away.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts