Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
The UPS guy
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my engine is squeking like a bitch....ive changed the main belt 3 times already...its always fine until its humid out or rains....then it squecks very badly again...my dad thinks it was the alt. but now hes starting to think the pullies are worn out...car just rolled 100k...any help? its so embarrassing!!!:mad:

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
try spraying the alternator bulley(behind the pulley) with some wd40 and have some one rev the engine a bit and spray some more in there and if its the alternator it will stop, if its not that pulley try another

·
The UPS guy
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well we sprayed wd40 right on the belt and it stopped Imidiatly and then came right back after a few seconds....

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
spray it behing the pulley, thats where itd actually be wearing out and rubbing, go behind the actuall pulley and spray it in there

·
The UPS guy
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
we have...1000 times lol....with the little red straw...got in there and sprayed the bitch....

·
Administrator
83,767 Posts
I think yer belt tensioner is shot based on:

-you replaced the belt three times. So it's not a belt.
-when you spray the belt down, the squeaking stops.

That leads me to believe it's not an alternator pulley. If it was, spraying the belt down wouldn't stop the noise. So based on that, I think that your tensioner is not keeping the proper tension on the belt, and it squeaks....until you lube it down like rags in the middle of a cornfield with the all male cheerleader team. :)

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
if you spray the alternator pulley, and it stops its prob that pulley, when mine got bad and wd40 would stop the squieling on my v6 i just hit the alternator with a dead blow a couple times, spray it some more hit it some more and it was good for a week lol

·
The UPS guy
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lmao...so new tensioner pully???? well the first time i bought a new belt it was from autozone...and it was a tad to big i think and thats why it started squecking...then the 2nd time i got it from ford...it was good all summer long...then changed it AGAIN with a ford one....that was in oct...it was good until about a month or so ago but only when it rained to was humid...or whenever it felt like it...thats when my dad said it has to be one of the pullies....so tensioner???

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
tensior is a good possiblity, if its not that could be the one on the alternator, they go to

·
The UPS guy
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok...i'll go tomorrow to ford....i feel like im there everyday...i should have just gotten a new gt when i had the chance...i hate used cars...my car is falling apart...engine mount broke...squecky ****...tailpipe rusted off muffler...clutch pedal vibrates likes crazy coz the cable is shot...dash lights dont lightup anymore...the list goes on....

·
Registered
147 Posts
If you put pressure on the tensioner does it go away!! i had the same squeek and i thought it was the idler, Nope. the spring in the tensioner was bad replaced and it went away!!!

·
Registered
189 Posts
ok...i'll go tomorrow to ford....i feel like im there everyday...i should have just gotten a new gt when i had the chance...i hate used cars...my car is falling apart...engine mount broke...squecky ****...tailpipe rusted off muffler...clutch pedal vibrates likes crazy coz the cable is shot...dash lights dont lightup anymore...the list goes on....
I'm with ya on the used car thing, but hey...I like no car payments!!! Belt tensioners usually are cheap and a good belt to go with outside of a factory belt is the Goodyear Gatorback. If your tensioner was the problem and it allowed the belt to "slip" a little its a pretty good bet it's good and glazed which will again start to squeal especially when damp. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts