Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 mustang gt, ive done a few mods to it already, roush cold air intake, pypes muffler delete, and sr performance strut bar. I've been ready up on lowering springs. I just dont know if i should get them or not? any ideas?

·
FBGM
6,177 Posts
Dont see why not, but I would get a whole package, because when you lower it your gonna need an adjustable panhard bar, and caster camber pates so you can alignt the rear axle and the front of the car correctly.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Depending on the drop, the caster/camber plates won't be needed. Any lower than 1.5" then caster/camber plates are required. Panhard bars are always required to recenter the rear axle. Another thing to think about is how quickly your stock shock/struts are going to get blown out depending on the drop. The SR Springs will most likely blow the stock shock/struts out pretty quickly with their drop.

On the side about what I think about the SR Springs, I don't have personal experience with them, but does AM give the spring rates for those specific springs? That would be what I'd be worried about. Though if you're just looking to lower the car for looks, they could be a good route because they have a nice price tag on them. A spring is a spring, only difference are drop amounts and spring rates depending on what kind of set up you have with your car.

Just my .02.

·
At the Apex pulling 1.28g
6,578 Posts
I have a 2006 mustang gt, ive done a few mods to it already, roush cold air intake, pypes muffler delete, and sr performance strut bar. I've been ready up on lowering springs. I just dont know if i should get them or not? any ideas?
I would say that this is one of the many "You get what you pay for" types of things. I doubt that AM is willing to divulge who makes their springs for SR and they may not even know what the spring rates are or the deviation in the spring rate is. That is one of the many reasons why I stray away from these bargain basement priced springs and buy known quality name brands like Steeda, BMR, H&R, Eibach, Hypercoil, Swift, etc. Steeda's springs are made by Hypercoil (at least their rear springs are anyway) and I trust that their quality is extremely high. If you are willing to surf around you can probably find a set of lightly used lowering springs of known quality for about what you are looking to spend on the SR's. That would be my choice and that is exactly what I did. I bought my Steeda Sports with 6000 miles on them for $200.

·
Registered
167 Posts
front spring 230 lb/in and the rears are 200 lb/in deviation not listed

·
Noob
828 Posts
I have them and they are pretty nice. I swapped out the struts and shocks tho. They are definitely worth it, but they are by no means racing springs. I take off with these springs all the time but ur not really supposed to.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Buy nice or buy twice

·
At the Apex pulling 1.28g
6,578 Posts
Buy nice or buy twice
I'm partial to the phrase "Buy once; cry once". :) I'm sure the springs are fine but I'm just not that kind of person that is willing to be the Guinea pig for stuff anymore since I got plenty of that in another hobby that was about twenty times less expensive and it was still way more than I should have our really wanted to spend to be THAT guy.

·
FBGM
6,177 Posts
I would go with BMR all day, cant wait to get my springs and Panhard Bar in.

·
Registered
354 Posts
You will like the Bmr PanHard bar. :)

·
FBGM
6,177 Posts
I hope so cant wait to put it on, but I wont be able to drive it, :( unless somehow it doesnt snow between now and january 1st

·
Registered
1 Posts
SR springs have a decent price tag I was thinking of buying SR spings but I went with steeda ultralights instead im just waiting for the shocks to get here

·
Registered
354 Posts
Hell man for $30 bucks more just get the ford racing k springs. I have em. I'm just making a nice street car for myself, I like the way they feel.

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
And what do ya know, I have some K springs for sale in the classifieds section. If that's not a coincidence, the. I don't know what is. Lol

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
i just got an 07 gt thats lowered..it looks to have everything else stock. no panhard bar or anything and has original ford shocks and struts. theres a little neg camber up front. but otherwise it drives perfect and rides pretty good for being lowered.

anyone have any suggestions? ill be looking into new shocks and struts next spring i think though. how important is a panhard bar..i dont mean to thread jack?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Did you notice if the rear of the car is off center? One tire will be more tucked in then the other.It gets worse when you lower it. Get the right shocks/struts .the stock ones won't last long on lowered springs.i would also get the gt500 strut mounts too, since you will have it all apart, might as well replace those too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts