Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its time to upgrade the brakes on my 2008 Sc stang.
I have 18 inch bullets and want to keep those and not go to other wheels.
It looks like these brakes will fit and clear the 18 inch bullet wheels.

The other big brake kits will not fit the polished wheels.

Does anyone have any info, good bad or ugly on SSBC brakes??

·
At the Apex pulling 1.28g
6,578 Posts
Its time to upgrade the brakes on my 2008 Sc stang.
I have 18 inch bullets and want to keep those and not go to other wheels.
It looks like these brakes will fit and clear the 18 inch bullet wheels.

The other big brake kits will not fit the polished wheels.

Does anyone have any info, good bad or ugly on SSBC brakes??
A couple of questions:

1.) What tires are you running?

2.) What are your intended goals for the car?

3.) What pads are you running now?

I ask because:

1.) Tires contribute more to stopping distances and reducing those stopping distances then brake caliper size. Case and point, find a long empty open stretch of road, start going about 45-50 mph and do a panic stop. Does your ABS engage? If YES then the problem is NOT your brakes, it's your tires. As someone who autocrosses on some pretty sticky summer tires, you wont hit the limit of the stock brakes and pads until you start getting into some seriously wide and stupid sticky (like Hoosier A6 autocross slicks) tires because the brakes have enough to lock up the front tires (hence why the ABS still manages to engage).

2.) If your goal isn't racing around a road course, then the only function upgraded calipers is going to serve is looks. You will get some better feel, a slightly better pad selection and more brake torque, but none of that really translates into quantifiable performance numbers. More brake torque does nothing if your current brakes can lock up the wheels and engage ABS. I don't care what anyone tells you, the braking distance from any given speed is as much a factor of weight, and tires and speed as it is brake torque once you have reached ABS engagement. I highly doubt any upgraded caliper with larger rotors will fit under the stock 18x8.5 polished Bullitts without a huge spacer. The stock floating calipers are pretty close to the spokes as is.

The reason a lot of road course guys go to larger brakes is because they can tolerate heat a lot better (and are less maintenance intensive when run hard) and offer better pad wear over a floating caliper design.

3.) If you are still on stock pads, I encourage you to try a set of aftermarket pads, some good brake fluid and some stainless steel lines before upgrading the brake calipers and increasing rotor diameter. I think you will find that with upgraded pads, with good tires, you can get the braking response you want. Of course none of that matters if you are on crappy tires.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm running Nitto Motivos on my bullets, and yes the stk calipers are tight to these bullets.
I am planning on getting some summer performance tires and wheels, but will keep the bullets for year round driving.
I want to find some upgraded calipers for future needs, IE tracking at VMS, but that is in the future.

I had thought of spacers, but don't know how safe or practical they would be.

Right now it's a DD with a TVS 1900 SC.

·
At the Apex pulling 1.28g
6,578 Posts
I'm running Nitto Motivos on my bullets, and yes the stk calipers are tight to these bullets.
I am planning on getting some summer performance tires and wheels, but will keep the bullets for year round driving.
I want to find some upgraded calipers for future needs, IE tracking at VMS, but that is in the future.

I had thought of spacers, but don't know how safe or practical they would be.

Right now it's a DD with a TVS 1900 SC.
VMS?? What track is that? A search came up with a dirt track! :p

A lot of guys go with the Brembos for the sure inexpensive factor. They have lots of available replacement parts, huge selection of pads and adequate braking capability. Probably a good bit cheaper too.

More importantly is getting some brake cooling, some good high temp pads and some high temp brake fluid in combo with those fixed calipers. I don't think you will be able to use the SSBC 14" rotors and calipers under the stock 18's though. You will probably need to get a set of 18"s that will clear big brake kits.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was looking to use these really cool mud flaps and jack up the stang about 12 inches to make it a mean dirt machine. Actually I meant VIR = Virginia International Raceway and not VMS = Virginia Motorsport Park.

Thanks for the input, I'll keep mulling it over.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Brembos are more cost effective and probably have more wheel fitting choices

1 - 6 of 6 Posts