Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done a little research on ST headers and LT headers and i can't seem to find anything about which would be better for my 1998 gt mustang I have been told long tube would give me better performace but in reality how much better are they really then the short tubes. I do plan on getting ceramic tubes but I know short headers are cheaper then long tubes depending on where you find them...

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Everyone will say the lont tubes ftw! and blah blah

Yes you will get more out of the LT but depending on your needs the ST will do just as fine. The hp gains over ST are minimal, (from what ive seen and researched)

The part that makes the big difference,imo, is whether you get ceramic or stainless steel. As long as you stick with Ceramics(which will be keep your heat temps down) you will be ok.

But remember, they are cheaper so they do have some drawbacks and everyone will tell you if you spend the money to put them in might as well get the most out of them. If I was doing the work myself and not paying anyone else, I would put the ST in because I like my drop and dont want to sacrifice that for LT, not worth it to me :dunno

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just installed FFRR shorty headers on my 96 GT and my car now idles much smoother and accelerates harder. I dont now if it is because I have a completly upgraded exhaust ( x pipe and Flow Masters ) but Im glad I did it

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've got long tubes and my car sits looooooow. Be ready to creep over every speed-bump sideways and slow. I scrape everywhere. But your going to make more power regardless, go with whichever fits your budget. Either will be badass!

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
i have longtubes and i wouldnt suggest any type of headers unless you had a power adder or a deep breathing hci setup. wasnt worth the hassle on install, lost ground clearance, underhood temps, etc etc.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Long tubes or don't go to the trouble becasue even shorties are a PITA to install.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
i have longtubes and i wouldnt suggest any type of headers unless you had a power adder or a deep breathing hci setup. wasnt worth the hassle on install, lost ground clearance, underhood temps, etc etc.
+1 kazillion

I wish more people would suggest this more and more...

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
+1 kazillion

I wish more people would suggest this more and more...
if i end up keeping this car - stock manifolds are going back on with an o/r h pipe. honestly lt's were one of my worst mods ever (and thats saying something - ive done several bad mods)

·
Rollin' 18/ pushin' 2
8,333 Posts
I wouldn't recommend doing that with a blower. The stock manifolds aren't going to be efficient at movin all that extra air out of your heads. If you already invested the time and money for the long tubes then stick with them.

·
Rollin' 18/ pushin' 2
8,333 Posts
I have done a little research on ST headers and LT headers and i can't seem to find anything about which would be better for my 1998 gt mustang I have been told long tube would give me better performace but in reality how much better are they really then the short tubes. I do plan on getting ceramic tubes but I know short headers are cheaper then long tubes depending on where you find them...
If your not planning on going boosted in the future then swap out for shorties. I personally saw no difference with the FRPP shorties over the stock manifolds and as stated they are quite a bear to install. If you do swap out look for a better design than the FRPP. Look for something where the 4 primaries join into one collector at the midpipe connection.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I wouldn't recommend doing that with a blower. The stock manifolds aren't going to be efficient at movin all that extra air out of your heads. If you already invested the time and money for the long tubes then stick with them.
no offense, but the npi heads arent exactly exhaust flow winners on the flowbench to begin with. if i had the cash to do a forged bottom end/trickflow heads/custom cams/better intake/blower upgrade, id elect to go with a quality set of longtubes to top it off.

more than likely ill just leave the setup as is until it blows. then sell everything and start over again (correctly) with a 4v.

·
Registered
11,354 Posts
I only ran with ST headers because FRPP headers are the only ones that clear the steering shaft with a 5.4

Otherwise longtubes would have been the best option

·
Rollin' 18/ pushin' 2
8,333 Posts
no offense, but the npi heads arent exactly exhaust flow winners on the flowbench to begin with. if i had the cash to do a forged bottom end/trickflow heads/custom cams/better intake/blower upgrade, id elect to go with a quality set of longtubes to top it off.

more than likely ill just leave the setup as is until it blows. then sell everything and start over again (correctly) with a 4v.

Well, actually nothing flows great with the npi heads now that you bring it up. If you want to go 4 valve my hat is off to you, that is just to rich for my blood. I can get over 600hp with a 2 valve that will last forever so I don't see the big deal of swapping for a 4 valve.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts