Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello i have an 01 GT with stage 1 cams, and i am running a stock tune. As far as mods go, i have upper intake with throttle body, underdrive pullies, o/r h pipe with bassani mufflers, and cai.

It is a completely stock factory tune as far as i am concerned, the cams were not degreed, they were simply dropped in and ran. It runs fine not stalling, i had to turn the idle screw up a little, half assed but its stock tune.

Curious what the gains would be with a tune? I know some of you wouldnt run it hard without a tune, but i do and its just fine. BUT, the power drops off at 6k, which is the stock limiter anyways. The guy i bought the cams from wraps to 6500 on stock springs, and he is making power up there. If i got a tune, would it make that big of a difference for me to not die off so early?

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
your def leaving power on the table without a tune how much :dunno

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
It'll be around 20-30rwhp if they're degreed and you have it tuned.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Stage 1 don't need to be, but you can gain more hp by doing it. How much? That's debatable. I doubt it would be noticeable but I'd do it anyway.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
have you got yours done yet?
nope lol need to get a second car first,
n +1 on to degree the cams u can get more out of stock pi cams if you degree em too

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why havent you done them yet? What else do you need? You could probably do it quickly with your gears. I dont think it would be noticable to degree them either, a few hp maybe. I know these cams pull harder than stock cams for sure, but i feel it die off too soon. My main question is will a dyno tune fix this? maybe even a mail order?

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I'd say a dyno tune would definitely improve what you have - maybe you get 20'ish rwhp out of it?,,,but even if it's just 5hp, your overall drive-ability will be much better - no stalls, better idle, throttle response, etc...

with you mods - especially the cams - it's 'tune time' :)

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I hope youre right about the nice numbers of 15-20whp. I really would be pissed if i spent 600 on 5whp just to get driveability. I could care less about that lol i want to be quicker

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
google other peeps with the same cam, surely there's a before/after dyno of these cams with a tune. Maybe call the manufacturer, and ask them directly what to expect.

Maybe try an email tune first (cheaper) before dyno tuning it.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Why havent you done them yet? What else do you need? You could probably do it quickly with your gears. I dont think it would be noticable to degree them either, a few hp maybe. I know these cams pull harder than stock cams for sure, but i feel it die off too soon. My main question is will a dyno tune fix this? maybe even a mail order?
i dont need anything else i just need a new daily driver bc ill get pulled over fast out here lol

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts
man if you are looking for power and looking safely your not going to feel very much with a cam and tune for the amount of money your getting ready to invest. If you want to feel some power get a tune and a nitrous kit and you will have a smile on your face everytime you hit the throttle.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
op dont u have the hp292s?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mine didnt drive any different at lower rpms, the only gains were mid-high it. was super easy for me to keep it down. When i finally broke in the clutch i went out to find races and smoked a few lol. That put a smile on my face.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts