3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has any one changed cams on the 4.6.
I want it to sound like a cammed up push rod motor
Am I crazy for wanting this.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I have a little comp cams cam in mine, its got a little pope to it, go to YouTube and search 4.6 mustang with cam, that's what I did

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
I installed CMS Stage 1, wasn't too difficult.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
I use to have cms stage 2 n/a cams. They had some lope but i had my idle set a little higher (1k). They made the car sound as if it were going to die at idle when it was set at 800. The reason to get cams is not for sound though imo. Do it as a performance upgrade. The biggest cam you can fit doesnt mean its going to be the best cam for you. What are your goals? If you plan on going fi, then fi cams dont like to "lope" because there isnt a whole lot of overlap.

·
MM's V6 Hater
13,422 Posts
A lot of us have cammed mustangs.

Dont buy cams just on sound. If you get too big of cams youll lose peeformance or have PTV issuses

·
Registered
257 Posts
Not everybody is in search of horsepower. Some actually just might want sound only and could care less about hp. If you want lope, stage 2's seem to do it. Blower cams usually, stage 1's sometimes. No matter what cam upgrade you do, its going to sound like it has cams. You'll know it does

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts

·
WOT Junkie
1,163 Posts
Not everybody is in search of horsepower. Some actually just might want sound only and could care less about hp. If you want lope, stage 2's seem to do it. Blower cams usually, stage 1's sometimes. No matter what cam upgrade you do, its going to sound like it has cams. You'll know it does
:facepalm: No....just no. Most people who only want the sound of performance without performance are ricers...just saying.

That being said, I'm sure OP wouldn't mind a performance boost of some sort. Anything past a stage 2 cam is going to need a proper tune. Most people can't tell the difference, in sound alone, when comparing stock and stage 1 cams. It's usually when you get to stage 2, where duration is noticeably longer than stock, where you start getting the "lope".

If you are planning on going forced induction, like everyone else is saying, leave the cams alone until you get everything else squared away.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
:facepalm: No....just no. Most people who only want the sound of performance without performance are ricers...just saying.

That being said, I'm sure OP wouldn't mind a performance boost of some sort. Anything past a stage 2 cam is going to need a proper tune. Most people can't tell the difference, in sound alone, when comparing stock and stage 1 cams. It's usually when you get to stage 2, where duration is noticeably longer than stock, where you start getting the "lope".

If you are planning on going forced induction, like everyone else is saying, leave the cams alone until you get everything else squared away.
Pretty sure he will absolutely need a tune with a Stage 2, even stage 1 is recommended. Mine ran like **** and sounded like it too, until I installed the tune.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
A tune is suggested with stage 1 and required with stage 2 cams.

CMS 2v Stage 1 N/A Cams - Cushman Motorsports
CMS 2v Stage 2 N/A Cams - Cushman Motorsports

The previous owner put cams in my Harley. I pretty much hate them. They sound good at idle but when riding in a group or rolling out of corners I have to run in a lower gear than everyone else in order to smooth out the motor. Same in a car. If you notice Cushman suggest 3.73 gears and a 2800 stall for their stage 2 cams.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Just curious, what's the LSA on those cams? What stall are you running?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts