Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Insomniac
5,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after all the abuse on my car I feel my clutch is on its last leg. So I've been trying to decide which to replace it with. I've narrowed it down to these two. The car is daily driven, is a weekend warrior during track season and sees very much street abuse. My goal is to put down 450-500whp which both clutches are rated much over that.
http://www.americanmuscle.com/spec-stag ... lutch.html

http://www.americanmuscle.com/spec-stag ... lutch.html

·
Bob The Mo'fukkin Builda!
10,234 Posts
i have a 3+ and it's fine on the street. next time i'll go with a mcloud (spelling) twin disc. i have to find out why i can speed shift first. possibly a shim or something, but not sure.

·
Yut Yut Devil Dog
4,591 Posts
I have Spec Stage 2. And I have abused the d*ck out of it. Still holding up fine. Not too shabby on the street. And grabs nice. I only have 320+ ponies though. After my turbo build I'm going with a RST. That seems to be the most talked about clutch on the S197 world. So, my couple of pennies, go with a RST.

·
Insomniac
5,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just don't have the resources for a mcleod, the clutch alone is 700+ bones and with a goal of 500hp I wouldn't even push the limits of the spec

·
10,234 Posts
not sure what you mean by puck style. i think i just need to adjust the tob with a shim to give me a bit more clutch travel. it's almost like when i push the pedal in i'm not getting full range of motion it needs to disengage it. i have to pause between every gear before it will go into the next. it's either that or i damaged something possibly when i missed a bolt removing my engine/trans and i pulled on it a few times with the hoist

the pedal effort is actually less than my stock clutch on my 86

·
Registered
253 Posts
One day I plan on swapping clutches but that is something ill have to learn about.

·
Insomniac
5,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Puck is the style of clutch. the stock clutch is a disk style. It's possible you missed something I have a buddy at ford doing the install.

·
10,234 Posts
i'll likely be doing lt's when i get back so i'll replace the tob/slave & do some research on shims. iirc the 3+ is the same style as stock. i'm in no way a clutch guru

·
Yut Yut Devil Dog
4,591 Posts
In that case, if funding is an issue, and you actually are running or planning on running some decent hp, 3+ is the way to go. In at least the Spec brand 3+ has a better reputation. I bought my 2 before I did any serious research, but knock on wood it turned out good. Like I said if I could do it all over again I'd go RST...

·
Insomniac
5,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
From everything I've read Ford vehicles owner's seem to be the only ones with success with spec clutches aside from the odd few

·
Registered
375 Posts
Spec 3+ with a spec billet steel flywheel. I've been beating on mine for over a year now and it's still going strong. Just be sure when you replace the clutch, whatever brand, you install a new OEM slave cylinder while it's apart. Some people try other brand slaves and end up having to take it all apart to put an OEM one in.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts