Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question, I'm planning on buying the false stainless steel hose covers to dress up the engine a bit, and when I do the radiator hose, am I gunna end up spilling fluid or something when I take it off or can I just be careful taking it off, slide the cover on, and slip it back into place? Thanks!

·
Too Soon, Junior!
3,830 Posts
It won't be pressurized if the car's been off for a while. You'll spill some fluid, but probably not much. It's just a circular clip that holds it in place, which you can take off with a pair of pliers. If you have quite a bit of spilled coolant, just top it off with distilled water or 50/50.

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
Got a link to the hose cover you're using? Is it the kind where the "end" has an anodized clamp looking thing?

And asian is spot on, coolant isn't going to come gushing out but you'll probably lose a little. Also whenever I do anything with the cooling system I burp it because I'm anal about getting air trapped in the system. I've had a car overheat just because I didn't burp it after adding coolant.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I used that stuff before, You have to pull it really tight once you have it on, wrap the end with some black electrical tape and get a pair of sharp scissors to make a clean cut, cutting about 1/2 inch of hose cover at a time.

I have a radiator hose with the cover and clamps sitting in my garage I would just give away if someone paid for the shipping.

I went with the blue silicone hose, looks nicer in my opinion.

You can make a hose with the real SS hose but it will cost you about $100.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm confused, what do you mean by cutting 1/2" at a time, wouldn't I just cut the end when I get where I want or do you mean cut till I get a perfect fit? And if you have the radiator hose and clamps, maybe I'll just buy them from you and save some cash lol. do you have a pic of it?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ressurecting the dead thread. I'm about a month late from when I said I'd hoped to have done this, but today when I received the product, I was VERY displeased and feel like I wasted $33. When I put the cover over the radiator hose, it looked like complete ****. the braids became soooo spaced apart and the clamp cover was a POS too. I widened it to get it around the hose, and the anodized finish cracked. I expected a clamp mechanism inside the false clamps but they really were just false. Not even sure if they would have held if I squeezed them shut. Am I doing this wrong and should have great results or is this typical and I shouldn't have bought it?

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
theres a reason no one buys those kits.

spend your money elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah man, I figured for how cheap it was, I may as well have tried it because I've seen decent results before but I guess not lol. I just wish the real stuff wasn't so damn expensive; I love that look. Maybe I'll look into colored silicon or something. Where can I find that stuff?

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
Yeah man, I figured for how cheap it was, I may as well have tried it because I've seen decent results before but I guess not lol. I just wish the real stuff wasn't so damn expensive; I love that look. Maybe I'll look into colored silicon or something. Where can I find that stuff?
if you switch your therostat housing to an early one, you can run the blue goodyear hoses I have

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
Hmm, I'm not sure exactly what all that entails....Could you give me a quick briefing?
pretty simple really, get a therostat housing form the dealer/ebay/etc for a 99-00 mustang with a 4.6 & order this hose kit, Goodyear Replacement Belts and Hoses 5016 - Goodyear Super Hi-Miler Hose Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com

drain the cooling system & change the thermostat housing, put the new hoses on (remembering to put the restrictor back in the heater hose) & refill system.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
damn lol $74. now this would be a $100 project. I think I'm gunna end up leaving it for now, but I'll definitely keep your suggestion in mind for the future. Thanks. Along with my hose kit, I finally ordered my struts, so on my to-do list will be installing them, my CC plates, and getting the alignment, so it's been an expensive week lol

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
lol I'm very anti rice. If i think it looks ricey, it comes off. A lot of people are running colored silicon hoses.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts