Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i should have my motor back in in abotu 2-3 weeks, what am i looking at in initial start up, iv heard start, let it run about an hour, chang oil, start let run another hour, chang oil and then break in. and how long can i expect the motor to run like crap after i fire it up, does the computer have to loop a couple of times before it settles down?

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
everyone has their own break in styles. i do initial start up and rev at 3k for 30-45 seconds, shut off and check for leaks or anything that looks out of place. then after that, i just do a small drive around and check again. i run break in oil for 500 miles and keep rpm's under 3500. change oil and start to let the revs go up close to the 1000 mile mark. change oil and let er rip. thats just my procedure, others will have their own opinions. just be sure battery is diconnected, and will take a few cylcles for it to clear out.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
break in oil?? a thicker oil?? 10W40?? i was going to run synth. 5w30 but i heard with new rings, u need to run a little thicker oil for a while

·
Administrator
83,767 Posts
Keep the revs varied too for the first little while. Don't hop on the highway and toss the cruise on. Work it up and down the rpm range fairly stiffly after you do the initial break in stuff sweet2k suggested.

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
these modular motors should never run thick oil because of all the small oil passages. i run a strait 30 oil to break in, and use whatever oil you prefer after that. i was taught to never break in a motor on synthetic, but there are a lot of people that do it.

·
Administrator
83,767 Posts
these modular motors should never run thick oil because of all the small oil passages. i run a strait 30 oil to break in, and use whatever oil you prefer after that. i was taught to never break in a motor on synthetic, but there are a lot of people that do it.

Yeah. I don't know what the truth is on that, but when I ordered my new 07, my service manager suggested I run the first 500 miles on conventional oil, and then switch to synthetic. Something about seating the rings better.

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
Yeah. I don't know what the truth is on that, but when I ordered my new 07, my service manager suggested I run the first 500 miles on conventional oil, and then switch to synthetic. Something about seating the rings better.
rings and help the bearing too. the synthetic is too slick for break in. that is just how i was taught and always done it.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
got this from another forum and the chiltons manuel has some of this info as well so i think im going this route with the first 1000 mile with 10w30...

"1. The idea of keeping the rev's up is to ensure the engine is always
making a good oil pressure, so avoid extensive idling.
2. I've also been told to downshift more often and use the engine
compression to slow you down (more shifting, less brakes) in the first 100
miles. Apparently this helps speed up the break-in and puts the motor under
a variety of load sequences rather than just those experienced during
acceleration.
3. Change the oil ~3 times, at 100, 500 and 1000 miles.
4. Patience: 500 miles of patience should be rewarded with 100K of
partying."

·
Registered
575 Posts
the ides for keeping the revs up is to seat the rings and to get proper lube to the cam or cams in our cars. idle at start is bad for your cams on a new motor

1 - 11 of 11 Posts