Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couple days ago I was driving and went to floor it to make a light and car completely cut off. I had a short in the wire leading from alternator to fuze box. Hit the junkyard got the wire installed and wrapped evrything back up but now the car will have power when I reconnect battery but as soon as I try and move the key to start it, the starter cranks once and shits out completely until I reconnect battery then lights comes back on and car dies as soon as I crank it.

checked fuzes - good
wires should be correct
engines not seized -good
used battery pack - no start
charged for 15 mins on 40 amps - no start

Any Ideas? Starter, solenoid, Battery?

The starter clicks just once and then it dies.

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
Assuming it goes something like-

Turn key on, gauges and everything has power.
Turn key from on to crank
Click from the starter
Return key to on position
Gauges and everything have power

Then I would look at your ground. Clean up both ends.

If you lose everything when you put it to the crank position and then have nothing when you return to the on position, and it won't work again until you disconnect and reconnect the battery, I'd look for another short.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep the 2nd option, when I go from ON to START it will lose power. If I turn key back to on position I have lost all power to everything and have to remove terminal to get the power back.

The short originally occured because the metal wiring on the alternator connection touched a bracket right in front of it because I had forgot to put the rubber boot back on it. So it shorted the alternator cord right at the fuze box.
I was trying to remove the starter and solenoid today because I thought maybe it fried the solenoid, though you say it could be another short and that does sound more plausible. Where else do you think I should look for a short? Would I have to check everything that leads off of the fuze box because none of the fuzes blew just the built in fuze on the alternator wire.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts