Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From a cold start it fires right up, but once the engine gets warm them it wants to act like a low battery

What could cause this?

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Could be your starter either on its way out or getting too hot. The starter is right next to the header and some people wrap their headers for that specific reason, to keep the heat off the starter.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well either suggestion leads to something suckin, distributors are freakin pricy and starters are kinda a bitch 2 change

·
Doc
37,101 Posts
^ cold starts my cougar would start fine.
hot starts... about 15 tries later.

turns out ( i recently replaced the distributer and jacked the timing by 2 degrees)
the timing was off.

I corrected the timing and it starts fine.. so I guess I"ll go with bad timing. lol

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Your starter is probably going bad. They work ok when cold and not ok when warm. Very common. You could be shortening its life if it is close to long tube headers.

HMUSN, 2 degrees difference kept your car from starting when warm and it was acting like a low battery? I would have never thought of that.

·
Registered
370 Posts
wrap that new starter. Heat is terrible on electronic parts. Cold actually makes for a better conductor of wire.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts