Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couple days ago i went to pull my car out of my garage and it started up and the starter got stuck on then my battery flat lined, couple hours later it fired up no problem no more problems til this morning it happened again any ideas? kinda just comes and goes i let my cousin use my battery and he had the same car and his starter got stuck too any way a weak battery could be the issue? or both of our starters going out? 86 5.0

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Starter relay on the fender or the ignition switch on the underside of the steering column is bad. My guess is the relay. If the battery was weak it wouldnt start and because your cousins starter does the same thing, its not the starter.

Take a picture or take notes on where the wires go on the relay before replacing it.

·
In over my head
1,116 Posts
Start with the one on the fender. Mine did the same thing, I used a low voltage battery to start up one day and the solenoid basically arced out internally welding the contact shut.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
is there any way i could test them? or should i just go ahead and replace both?
If you get stuck cranking again, pull off the small red wire with a blue stripe on the top of the solenoid, not sure about the 86 but on 87+, it is a spring clip and just "pushed on" the stud, not screwed on so its easy to pull off. If the cranking stops after pulling off that wire, it is the ignition, if it keeps going, it is the solenoid itself. You can try smacking the solenoid with the handle of a screwdriver or something blunt and see if it stops. They get old and sticky. Both can fail though. A solenoid should only cost about $20. I'd do that first if you are guessing. Be careful though.. A stuck solenoid overrides all starter safety things like being in N or P, the clutch switch, no key in the ignition etc.. You don't want to run over yourself and your car lurching off down the road powered by the starter.

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
This is the wire nolife is talking about.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts