Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Steeda Tri-Ax for 02 GT last fall, and on the fence of replacing it for a Mgw. I've heard great things about them and what to know if anyone has real opinions or experiences with them. The Steeda is a shorter throw than stock, but it feels really notchy and not that smooth. Was wondering if the MGW is any smoother in between shifts before I switch...

·
MOAR BOOST
9,163 Posts
I switched from a tri-ax to an MGW and don't regret it. Feels nicer imo.

Just depends if you really want to drop the money on the switch. I got lucky and found a used MGW and then sold my tri-ax.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I literally just switched from an SR shifter to an MGW. Go with MGW. It's a very nice shifter. Crisp, high quality, robust, you will not regret it. Their customer service is excellent as well.

·
Nile P. Pezdel of Pez Dispenser Inc. CCA
5,502 Posts
I switched from a steeda to an MGW and loved it. It's still way notchier than stock, so if you like the wet noodle stock feel, I don't know what to tell you. It feels like you're cocking a rifle.

·
Corner Carvin
149 Posts
Personally I am not a fan of the MGW, I preferred my old Tri-ax. I am not sure if my tranny is just picky in my cobra vs my old GT, but I definitely felt the tri-ax was smoother.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Personally I am not a fan of the MGW, I preferred my old Tri-ax. I am not sure if my tranny is just picky in my cobra vs my old GT, but I definitely felt the tri-ax was smoother.
Same here. I went from a UPR Blue thunder shifter to a MGW. I liked the MGW for daily street driving but hated it at the track. The MGW has a very narrow gate between 1-3 and 2-4th gears. On a car that demands instinct shifting like mine I had trouble adjusting and after one 3rd to 2nd shift it came out and the old UPR is back in. Shifting problem was solved. Your results may vary. :smile2:

·
Registered
750 Posts
I had the tri-ax on my tko600 and hated it. I hated the shift feel. I went with a mgw and no regrets. MGW looks like better quality, shift gates are tight, no missing third and it gives off less noise and vibration.

·
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?
5,215 Posts
I love my mgw. One of my favorite mods I ever did. I picked it up on the forums in lightly used condition. Topped it with a Mustang cue ball shift knob. Truly a nice shifter.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I replaced my Pro 5.0 shifter with the MGW and thought the MGW was a little better, but probable not worth the upgrade. Sorry cant really speak on the triax I never had one of those. This was through a TR3650.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Never tried the triax but cant go wrong with the mgw.
I love the comfort handle, its nice not having to reach to grab the shifter.
Also have the race handle and it makes the shifts short and precise.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
My buddy has a tri ax in his 04 gt and damn is it notchy, the throws are short but its way too notchy. I bought a pro 5.0 from a member on here and love it, its so smooth and the shifts are short. Ive never had an mgw so I cant speak for it but if its like the member above then Id get a pro 5.0 and call it a day. Its way better than the tri ax.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Both are great products.

The notchy feel is by design -The Steeda Tri Ax shifter has gone through many tests and studies and we have determined that the 20% throw is ideal for the driver, the transmission and ultimately for not missing a gear. Our shifter gives you the confidence that when you shift from 2nd to 3rd gear that you will hit the correct gear as opposed to having a gummy feeling and shifting back into 1st , into 5th, or just missing a shift.

Many people love the notchy feel & others not so much - it is a point of preference - kind of like the great PC & MAC debate, you will have both sides of the argument.

Excellent shifter. No noise and great positive feel when shifting. Only reason for 4 stars instead of 5 is that there are two aluminum brackets/plates that are included and no mention of where they go or what they are for in the instructions.

AMAZING UPGRADE
Guys/gals, this is one of the best upgrades you can do for your manual transmission! Shorter throws and quicker acceleration!

TRI-AX SHORT SHIFTER
I've done many mods to my 2011 5.0 GT. Although I have a detuned 566 rwhp, 4.10 gears and a custom look, this has to be my favorite mod I've done. I feel like it changed my muscle car into a true sports car. I like to also give a shout out to Gus who has done nothing but go out of his way to help me build my car. You will not get this service at Roush or Saleen. Thanks.

A GREAT UPGRADE
This is an amazing shifter. Rock steady, sure positive shifts. No more missing that 2-3 shift, and a much surer shift into reverse. This shifter has been a terrific upgrade in my car, and makes the GT even more fun to drive. Highly recommended

A MUST!
This is my second Steeda shifter. I installed one in my 2003 GT. This was not as simple an install but just as sweet. Took me about an hour by myself on jack stands. Nice smoot firm shifts, just what you want and expect. Plus made in the USA!

WONDERFUL SHIFTER
This is an excellent shifter. Gone are the missed gears, the grinding, wondering if you found reverse or not. This shifter makes driving a manual fun again. Super easy 2-3rd gear shifts, short throw and no difference in NVH over stock, might even be quieter than stock but I can't prove it.

SIMPLY A NECESSITY!
Finally I got my Tri-Ax Shifter and had it installed at the Steeda campus in Pompano Beach today. On the way home I had ample opportunity to get a feel for the new shifter, and I must say, I'm extremely impressed, as with all other Steeda parts I have on my new 5.0. I finally feel that I actually have control over the shifts, versus the rather flimsy OEM stock shifter. The premium shift ball fits perfectly and unless you shift, you wouldn't notice the difference. The shifter height seems to be the same as stock as well. I guess I have to re-learn my shifting when backing up, as I was so used to the stock set-up and very light spring. It's much more difficult with the Steeda shifter to get the car in reverse by accident, which is a big bonus!I would highly recommend this modification to anyone want to get control over precise shifts... Another awesome "must have" product from Steeda!

BTW: Thanks Gus for taking such care of me once again!!! I love this place!!!
- See more at: Steeda 2011-14 Mustang Short Throw Shifter - Made in USA 555-7312 | Free Shipping!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts