Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Hardcore Devotee
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a mostly stock 00' GT with stock suspension and rolling close to 100,000 miles. The other day i noticed a weird squeeking noise when I turn the wheel towards the drivers side. The noise doesn't occur when I turn the wheel the other way. The noise has gotten a little worse and I also have a problem where the car kinda jerks to the side if there is a weird imperfection or slight bump in the road. Tires seem to be wearing decent and the car goes straight when on flat/even pavement.

I haven't jacked up the car yet but assuming it's the ball-joint or tie-rod end, would I be safe to get the steeda balljoints and bumpsteer kit even though the car is not lowered yet?

Just for reference I plan on getting H&R Super sports and CC plates in the future when funds become available.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Moog joints and tie rods. My Steeda bumpsteer kit heim joints rusted after 4 years of daily driving causing a creaking noise. They'll work fine just be aware that they'll need replacement a few years down the road.

·
Hardcore Devotee
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
UPDATE: I jacked the car up and there is movement side to side(Holding the wheel at the 3 and 9 o'clock position.) So i guess its the tie rod ends?

The squeaking sounds are coming from the boot before the outer tie rod though? I circled it in the pic for clarification. You can clearly hear it when i move the wheel side to side with the car jacked up.

·
Poo tee weet?
2,646 Posts
UPDATE: I jacked the car up and there is movement side to side(Holding the wheel at the 3 and 9 o'clock position.) So i guess its the tie rod ends?

The squeaking sounds are coming from the boot before the outer tie rod though? I circled it in the pic for clarification. You can clearly hear it when i move the wheel side to side with the car jacked up.

Inner tie rod boot. Mine makes noise too. Popping sound when the boot compresses.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Sounds like tie rod ends because of the side to side movement. If you are going to replace your tie rod ends you might as well spring for the extra coin and get steeda or MM kit. The Steeda X2 baljoints can lower the front 1/2" if you leave out the spring spacer ring that come with the kit.

The red circle is the dust cover of the steering rack. They are about $150 rebuilt. You might as well do everything at once, then get it aligned.

·
Hardcore Devotee
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Those your legs?

Your whole wheel moves while pushing in and out? Could be wheel bearing/also?

No haha its just a pic i stole off the internet for clarification.

There is some movement side to side when pushing in and out.

·
Hardcore Devotee
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like tie rod ends because of the side to side movement. If you are going to replace your tie rod ends you might as well spring for the extra coin and get steeda or MM kit. The Steeda X2 baljoints can lower the front 1/2" if you leave out the spring spacer ring that come with the kit.

The red circle is the dust cover of the steering rack. They are about $150 rebuilt. You might as well do everything at once, then get it aligned.
The noise is def coming from the steering rack then but to me, I've always been told that the movement i get side to side indicated tie rod ends. So are they both going bad or what?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts