Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
3v reppin'
3,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a deal on some drilled and slotted rotors from a client that upgraded to some brembo brakes. He's including "steel brake lines" in the deal. Should I hassle with this? I'm getting a sweet deal on the rotors with new pads, just don't really know squat about brakes, and I was wondering what the advantages of steel brake lines are?

Any comments are appreciated.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Its been a while since I've dep't with brake lines but if I remember correctly braided steel lines are really just for protection on lowered cars. When you lower a car things tend to start rubbing, ie brake lines to a nearby spring or strut. This rubbing in a rubber hose would tear through eventually, however with the steel lines your protected and don't have to worry about it. Alot of big brake kits include them because the calipers are larger and cab rub the stock lines.

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong. Im a suspension and brake guy but linesnot so much.

·
The Constitutionalist
431 Posts
all I know about braided lines is that over time they will corrode, I know they are "stainless steel" but if anything gets into the outside of the line (if that makes sense) they will start to look pretty shitty and deteriorate... Dealing with Harley's is where I learned that one.

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
08redGT is on it. The steel lines are just for protection, no performance gain.. As far as the corrosion goes, Ive never seen a braided line corrode, I worked for a race team(dirt late model) for 12+years, and thats all everyone uses is braided, and I never saw one corrode, but keep in mind they where not out in the winter on salty roads either, plus they would get washed twice a week(when the car got washed).

So anyway, the braided lines are nice for protection, and they look cool. I would use them if I had them.. Just so I could look cool... LOL!

·
You had one job!
9,138 Posts
Stainless braided line do have a performance gain. They will not heat and expand like the factory rubber lines. You will get rid of brake fade, and have a stiffer pedal feel.

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Stainless braided line do have a performance gain. They will not heat and expand like the factory rubber lines. You will get rid of brake fade, and have a stiffer pedal feel.
Huh... Good point, I never thought of that.. Makes sense.. Another thing with brakes is use really good fluid, and bleed old fluid out after you have used your brakes alot(twistes/track).. Just bleed them until all the dark fluid is out. Just alittle bit of moisture in your brake fluid drops the boiling point alot..

Ive seen brakes get so hot that the pad melted and actually filled up the holes in a cross drilled rotor..

Thanks for bring up the heat expansion deal of the steel lines.

·
3v reppin'
3,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its been a while since I've dep't with brake lines but if I remember correctly braided steel lines are really just for protection on lowered cars. When you lower a car things tend to start rubbing, ie brake lines to a nearby spring or strut. This rubbing in a rubber hose would tear through eventually, however with the steel lines your protected and don't have to worry about it. Alot of big brake kits include them because the calipers are larger and cab rub the stock lines.

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong. Im a suspension and brake guy but linesnot so much.
08redGT is on it. The steel lines are just for protection, no performance gain.. As far as the corrosion goes, Ive never seen a braided line corrode, I worked for a race team(dirt late model) for 12+years, and thats all everyone uses is braided, and I never saw one corrode, but keep in mind they where not out in the winter on salty roads either, plus they would get washed twice a week(when the car got washed).

So anyway, the braided lines are nice for protection, and they look cool. I would use them if I had them.. Just so I could look cool... LOL!
That was some good info... reps to you TCStang for the info.

I just got a sweet deal, and the guy included the brake lines as an afterthought. I wasn't sure to get them or tell him don't worry about it. Paid $400 for Drilled and slotted rotors, new Baer pads, and steel brake lines. Feeling good about the deal.

Wasn't really worried about performance so much as the appearance. I don't race at this point so the stock brakes work fine but the drilled rotors look pretty sharp. And my car is lowered, so I'm glad that I'm getting some protection too.

Thanks to y'all for the good info. I'm repping all of you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts