Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here replaced the steering box on a 1965/1966 Mustang WITH THE ENGINE (289 V8) in the engine bay?

I'm going to be changing the original steering box for a new one but it doesn't look like there's much clearance to remove/install them. All the front end suspension components are out (getting replaced as well) and all the steering components are also going to come out. Even without those in the way, there's still no room.

Anyone have any hints or tips to make this easy? I've read some people say you have to jack up the drivers side of the engine and remove the motor mount. I've also heard others say you have to remove the oil pan.

Removing the motor mount wouldn't be bad, I don't want to remove the oil pan. At that point I think I would rather sawz-all the shaft from the original box to remove. Then on the new box/shaft, remove the roll pin to separate the box from the shaft and then reinstall the pin.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I have. Get te car high, use a cherry picker and put your jack stands at full extension. Remove the steering column and it will give you the room you need to twist and rotate the box out.

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
The best way I found to do it is.

First undo the battary.

Remove the pitman arm

Remove the steering colum.

Here is the trick that most people dont do. Everyone trys to pull the box out the bottem. I found that it really dosnt clear the lower control arm. I found it best to pull it out the top. If the car does not have headers.

If it has headers remove the header.

Remove the drivers side shock tower support.

Pull the one bolt on the drivers side motor mount.

I pick the motor up on the drivers side about 4" till the motor almost touches the passanger shock tower.

Pull the steering box up and out the top. Be sure to take note of the rotation of the box when it comes out. The new one will have to go in the same way.

·
Premium Member
10,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is the trick that most people dont do. Everyone trys to pull the box out the bottem. I found that it really dosnt clear the lower control arm. I found it best to pull it out the top. If the car does not have headers.
The car currently has no suspension or steering components (figured everything should be replaced since it was all original and well worn) to interfere.

I ended up jacking the car up as high as the jack stands would allow. Then jacked the engine up a couple inches so it would clear. I still didn't have enough clearance on the bottom (hit the concrete) so I took the sawz-all and cut the shaft.

The plan to reinstall the new one was to remove the roll pin holding the new shaft into a collar, insert the shaft from the inside of the car, position the box inside the engine bay, re-engage the splines in the shaft, and insert roll pin. However, I'll try your suggestion of installing through the top and see if I can avoid taking it apart.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts