Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've encountered an annoying vibration issue that is being caused by the primary tube of my JBA long tubes coming in contact with the steering shaft when making a right hand turn of approximately 15-25 degrees. The primary should have been modified prior to install but it wasn't Has anyone encountered this and if so what did you do to fix it?

Someone mentioned that Flaming River sells a modified steering shaft but that seems to be for older Mustangs. Mine is a 2007 GT. Any suggestions?

·
Blood, Sweat and Gears...
2,139 Posts
I had that with my 07 stang and SLP LT headers too. We had to shift the motor to the right to get the clearance .

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I have mine dented there as well but i need a little more, I shifted the motor over as well but I am noticing a little vibration since. I had solid mounts and that fixed the rubbing problem but there is much more nhv so I scraped that idea. I need to get off my ass and pull the header again to dent it a little more. its a commin problem with the jbs btw

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I moved it over as much as the stock mounts would allow, but as i mentioned befor i noticed a little driveline vibration since. I wouln't grind the shaft. The solid mounts will fix the problem but it will make it a little less frendly, that might be your fix I just felt it was a little much for me.

·
Hardon Enthusiast
2,291 Posts
i beat a dent in mine with a wooden block and a hammer, also shifting the engine over helps

·
4,253 Posts
You would think they would design around that issue. What a bunch of Sh*t. Theres no way im taking this apart to take that header off. I was atually thinking of die grinding the steering shaft at the point of contact.
i beat a dent in mine with a wooden block and a hammer, also shifting the engine over helps
Do NOT grind the steering shaft...crashing will suck if it breaks.

Either shift the motor as above or dent the headers.

The above is why 99% of guys on here recommend American Racing, Kooks, and Mac for headers and shun the others.

·
2,139 Posts
Get different headers, sell the JBAs at a discount. This bad fitting header may haunt you...
Did you contact JBL to see what they have to say? I can't believe that JBA made a bad fitting header on purpose, they are a well known brand.

·
2,139 Posts
JBL, JBA what ever it takes :)

·
Registered
649 Posts
Dont dent them, dont grind the shaft, so to speak, lol. Just get some prothane motor mounts and call it a day. Mine was doing the same thing, no matter how much we moved the motor to the right, it would either clear the shaft and hit the fender on the right side or be back on the steering shaft. Got the Prothane bullet motor mounts and haven't had a problem since. Plus the car shifts easier now due to the motor and trans lining up better under torque.

·
Registered
503 Posts
+1 on the prothane mounts. I installed my MAC LT and the mounts at the same time and I've never encountered rubbing or noise.

·
Registered
101 Posts
My tuner is nationally known. He tunes all Kenne Bell cars. He said to avoid JBA LTs, because of fitment issues. As others have said, Kooks, Mac, or American Racing Headers are the way to go. When guys say they shifted the motor or dented the headers to make them fit, I fell bad for them--that's a lousy deal. My exhaust guy will tell you all day that the S197 is the worst car for installing LT headers. Oh well, I'm in California, and we can't have LTs anyway, only shorties. I'll just have to overcome this exhaust deficiency with boost when the time comes.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
My tuner is nationally known. He tunes all Kenne Bell cars. He said to avoid JBA LTs, because of fitment issues. As others have said, Kooks, Mac, or American Racing Headers are the way to go. When guys say they shifted the motor or dented the headers to make them fit, I fell bad for them--that's a lousy deal.
HTML:
My exhaust guy will tell you all day that the S197 is the worst car for installing LT headers.
Oh well, I'm in California, and we can't have LTs anyway, only shorties. I'll just have to overcome this exhaust deficiency with boost when the time comes.
you should try a 2v mustang gt, the s197 is a joke compaired to those. I wouln't put a set on a 99-04 again if my life depended on it:yes.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I had tha same problem with my jba lt's. But it only vibrates on cold starts for about 5 sec then no more vibration. I shaved alittle metal off of the pasenger side fender. The headers were way too close to the body i think that helped

1 - 20 of 31 Posts