Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Sheep Dog
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So on my car ive started to notice this really high pitched squeaking coming from the front of my car when i turn the wheel in either direction. I cant tell if its the struts or if its the steering rack, i believe thats what its called anyways, either way its very high pitched squeak any ideas or opinions as to whats wrong?

·
Registered
487 Posts
HA i got the same problem lately and i was just going to post about it.
im running 275 in the front.

·
Sheep Dog
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im still runnin the 245's in the front but if the windows are down its one of the most annoying sounds ive ever heard

·
Registered
487 Posts
yeah i got the same sound when i turn left. anybody got any ideas on what it could be?

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Do you have a hole in your CV boots ? The turning mechanism could have debris in it.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
wtf...^^ last time i checked, mustangs are not fwd, and dont have cv boots, there are boots on the tie rods. but have some one sit in the car and steer it from side to side while you listen to the ps pump...also is there any change in the way your steering feels?

·
Sheep Dog
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nope steering feels great just like it always has....power steering fluid is full and seems to be workin just fine....im really wonderin if its not the steering rack i notice it has some oil on it like its been leaking....

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
where is the leak? under your oil filter? and listen to it while you have someone turn it...does it make the noise sitting still or only at speed

·
Sheep Dog
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea i believe its close to the filter.....it makes the noise both sitting still and going....but im almost positive its not the pump...what are the chances of it bein the struts bein worn out the car has 96,xxx on it now

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
What!!?!! A Ford with steering noise?!! Surely you are mistaken my friend.:D

Its probably the pump. They start squealing like that when they are going out. It doesn't have to have a leak to mean its bad. The little leak you are getting may be coming from the bottom of the pump. Its not the struts squealing unless there is an animal in em.:D

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
lol an animal...the leak of "ps fluid" that is under your oil filter may just be residue from doing oil changes since it is next to impossible to keep it from getting on the rack.

·
Registered
487 Posts
so if the pump goes out will i still be able to steer the car? will it be like driving without power steering

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
so if the pump goes out will i still be able to steer the car? will it be like driving without power steering
all depends on how it fails..if the input shaft seizes, your gonna be dead on the side of the road (gotta love serpentine belts). If its just a hydraulic failure then yes you will still be able to drive. Mine has whined for a long time...i've never really worried about a whine, but if it turns into a grinding sound fix the problem ASAP.

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
Driving a power steering equiped vehicle when the PS goes out is alot harder than driving one that doesn't have it. You can get it home most of the time, but its worth looking at it a little more now to see if you can pinpoint it and get it fixed before it bites you in the but.

·
Registered
248 Posts
sounds like a strut mount to me.

·
Sheep Dog
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thats kinda what i was wonderin cause i mean ive worked in garage and on cars for quite some time now and it just doesnt seem likes its the power steering to me

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
try gettin the wieght off the front suspension and see if it still makes the noise

1 - 18 of 18 Posts