Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got through replacing both lower ball joints in the front and also replaced the tie rod ends while I was there. However I noticed when replacing the tie rod ends that the one ?rod? on one side of the steering rack was really stiff and the other was loose. I kind of dont think this is normal but figured I would turn to you guys for some advice like always lol Also I took notice to there being a noise when I turn the wheel which sounds to be coming from the steering rack. Help?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I just got through replacing both lower ball joints in the front and also replaced the tie rod ends while I was there. However I noticed when replacing the tie rod ends that the one ?rod? on one side of the steering rack was really stiff and the other was loose. I kind of dont think this is normal but figured I would turn to you guys for some advice like always lol Also I took notice to there being a noise when I turn the wheel which sounds to be coming from the steering rack. Help?
There is an inner tie rod end at each end of the rack (inside the boot). They might need to be replaced, or you could get a rebuilt rack.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
You might try pulling back the dust boots at the end of the steering rack and pull on the tie rod end. If you can see movement at the inner joint then there may be a problem. The Ford shop manual doesn't show much about the steering rack other than removing and replacing it and replacing the tie rods.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts