Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks - new poster here as I have been reading for awhile but have not been able to post due to some ap issues. Anyways the prior owner of my pony installed a grant steering wheel that I absolutely loathe and I want to replace it with a stock or something after market I like better. The issue is it appears to be locked into place and none of the keys that came with the car fits the lock. I was wondering if anyone knows of a grant replacement lock or a way around the issue? I have seen a few complete columns for sale - do I have to go that far? Also do any of you fox body owners have a after market wheel that you love to share with me? Thanks in advance and I just want to say from reading around here that this forum is absolutely full of nice people and has a great sense of kindness as opposed to the others I'm involved in. It seems to stem by the person who wrote this http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218304 and I applaud them for it.

ImageUploadedByAG Free1358222089.556826.jpg

·
Registered
51 Posts
You could probably call a locksmith. He could likely make a key for it. Otherwise, it could probably be picked or drilled out to remove it.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You could probably call a locksmith. He could likely make a key for it. Otherwise, it could probably be picked or drilled out to remove it.
Thanks for the reply - a lock smith crossed my mind but its the last resort due to cost. I looked on grants website and it says this:
I lost the keys to my vehicle security system. What can I do about getting replacements?
Provided you sent in the registration form for your system, all you have to do is call our customer service department and we will be happy to sell you replacement keys for $4.75.

If you did not send in your registration form, we will need you to get the serial number for your unit. This is found on the original instruction sheet, the registration form or you must remove the unit from the vehicle to get to the serial number found on a white sticker on the bottom of the base unit. Without this information we cannot help, there is no master key.

So my question is can I remove the unit to find the sticker without the key? Confusing - my car is in a storage unit so I can't try until this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
Why not just fax them your registration, that seems easier then pulling the column

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
Oh, that sucks

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
The Big Spoon
3,214 Posts
you should be able to drill that lock out man. I don't know how easy you are going to find another tilt column.

my wheel is stock 1988.

·
your mom likes it
631 Posts
you should be able to drill that lock out man. I don't know how easy you are going to find another tilt column.

my wheel is stock 1988.
^Agreed. Drill that thing with a big ass bit. Always worth a shot to save what you have before you pay out for a hard as hell to find part.

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,965 Posts
screw that. Most locksmiths would pick that and open it for 25 bucks. Call around before you go relying on internet info. Including my post, lol. Seriously, you don't need a key, you need it off, big difference in price, picking a lock is cheap, making a key is not.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
screw that. Most locksmiths would pick that and open it for 25 bucks. Call around before you go relying on internet info. Including my post, lol. Seriously, you don't need a key, you need it off, big difference in price, picking a lock is cheap, making a key is not.
Not sure where you live bro but here in taxachusetts a lock smith won't even drive to a location for less then a service call price of $150 and then a cost on whatever they do. You can't get a sandwich around here for $25 lol. I have found a steering column or two but at this point I'm still figuring out what I'm going to do - I might just drill it out like posted here. Thanks for the feedback guys

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
1 - 14 of 14 Posts