Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car is an 07 with 88k miles on it. My car has developed a shake in the steering wheel between 75-80ish mph and I am trying to find where to look at fixing the issue. I replaced both front lower control arms this month since the ball joints were shot, and the tie rod ends were replaced last year to year and a half with greaseable units. Car has been aligned this month and the toe corrected, and checked by 2 separate alignment shops for parts wear and to make sure I am within spec. Tires have been rebalanced twice this month as well.

Everything under there checks out now according to the 2 shops, and I got under there trying to move whatever I could to check for play and found nothing. The passenger side front tire does have more wear on the inside of the tire than the driver side due to when the ball joints were bad. I suspect this may be the cause but neither of the shops said it should be an issue.

Thanks in advance. I can get pictures of the front tires if needed.

·
Resident Headbanger
2,410 Posts
You'll need to have the wheel rims checked for runout to rule out possible warpage, as this could also cause uneven tire wear and excessive tire noise. The wheel/tire combination may be balanced but only because the tire has worn unevenly to compensate for the unevenness of the rim.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You'll need to have the wheel rims checked for runout to rule out possible warpage, as this could also cause uneven tire wear and excessive tire noise. The wheel/tire combination may be balanced but only because the tire has worn unevenly to compensate for the unevenness of the rim.
I will have that checked out. I called both shops that balanced them and neither used a road force machine. My friend is a firestone manager and is gonna put them on their road force balancer for me to recheck them as well.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Look into roadforce tire balancing.
That's what I am getting done from my friend next. I stumbled upon that while looking into this and called both shops that looked at it and neither use a roadforce machine. Figure I may as well try that too while I am at it.

·
Registered
13,624 Posts
Is the wear on the tires even or cupped/feathered? It's weird but a worn set of shocks can cause uneven tire wear as the tire oscillates and at certain frequency or speeds, this oscillation can be felt due to harmonics. It's a reach but seems like we've exhasuted most other options.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Will rotate tomorrow and check.

Passenger side front tire is feathered but shows tread still. Shock/struts are original to the car.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Rotated tires and it is still there. I will locate some new stock struts for the thing and see if that helps. Probably needs them anyways after this many years and miles.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts