Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys quick query. Does anyone know what it means when you turn the steering wheel to the left and it makes an annoying squealing sound? i have a 2000 mustang gt

·
Registered
50 Posts
sounds like your power steering...check your fluid and lines for leaks

if not leaks, i've heard of the pumps going bad...if worst comes to worst, you can buy an additive to mix into your fluid to quiet down the noise

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok thx ill look into that

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I listened to the sound today and its not really a squealing sound its more of a grinding sound and it only happens when i turn to the left for some reason any other thoughts on what it could be?

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
i think he's talking about when he isn't moving. i'm assuming you're turning it to complete lock? if so that "grinding" noise is your power steering pump working to try to turn harder but it can't because it's at full lock. i've been told to never turn a hydraulic power steering system to full lock because of this. when i try to make sharp turns i turn it to almost full lock, about 1-2inches before i get to full lock. this will hopefully keep my power steering system alive longer.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well thank you for the info on full lock but this problem sounds more like a metal piece being worn out and it happens when I am driving the vehicle as well. I guess ill get it checked out there doesn't seem to be any way to tell other than that

·
Registered
610 Posts
I'm gonna say it's not a bad steering rack, far more componets are gonna wear out before the rack does.

With that said, i'd say bearing or tie rod end. Jack the front up so the wheels are off the ground, put one hand on the top of the tire and one on the bottom and try to wiggle it. If it doesn't move, put one on each side (while looking right at the wheel) and try to wiggle it that way. If nothing abnormal, try the other front wheel. Depending which way there is play (if any) will determin wether its a bearing or a rod end.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm gonna say it's not a bad steering rack, far more componets are gonna wear out before the rack does.

With that said, i'd say bearing or tie rod end. Jack the front up so the wheels are off the ground, put one hand on the top of the tire and one on the bottom and try to wiggle it. If it doesn't move, put one on each side (while looking right at the wheel) and try to wiggle it that way. If nothing abnormal, try the other front wheel. Depending which way there is play (if any) will determin wether its a bearing or a rod end.
do you by any chance know which direction of play means what part is bad?

·
Resident Bubblehead
6,190 Posts
could be a wheel bearing, when you turn left it probably load tests it and makes the grinding noise
If it was a wheel bearing, when he turned left, the noise would come from the right side as the weight of the vehicle shifts to the right side during a left turn (I just replaced 2 wheel bearings on my truck). I'm thinking tie rod...

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
k cool well ill look into the tie rod thnx guys

·
╚⊙ ⊙╝
14,719 Posts
also from what ive heard and experienced new edge mustangs have fairly loud power steering pumps even when working properly.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts