Modded Mustang Forums banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
gkad to see someone finally make the move of swapping ina complete mark VIII motor. good luck with the build and keep us updated on any changes.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
gkad to see someone finally make the move of swapping ina complete mark VIII motor. good luck with the build and keep us updated on any changes.
Thanks for the reps guys. Glad to see that people like the info. Will do. Bout the only thing that I have in mind motor wise is trying to use the IMRC's. Maybe get my 0-60 times under that elusive 6 second mark.

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
GT harness is the easiest/most effective method. There is a bunch of other crap that goes with the Mark VIII harness, it doesn't even hook up the same way.

You will love the motor if you do the swap. It's better in every way from what I have experienced.
I'm still confused on how the GT computer works better than the Lincoln computer. I don't doubt you at all because obviously your car runs, but it's just not falling into place in my mind.

How can the GT computer run the Mark motor? The fuel trims have to be way different. Especially because I think the Mark uses a bigger injector, I think 26# vs. the 19# injector of a GT.

And what is the "bunch of other crap that goes with the Mark VIII"? Couldn't you just eliminate the stuff you don't need?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I'm still confused on how the GT computer works better than the Lincoln computer. I don't doubt you at all because obviously your car runs, but it's just not falling into place in my mind.

How can the GT computer run the Mark motor? The fuel trims have to be way different. Especially because I think the Mark uses a bigger injector, I think 26# vs. the 19# injector of a GT.

And what is the "bunch of other crap that goes with the Mark VIII"? Couldn't you just eliminate the stuff you don't need?
The injectors are the same as the GT. The spark table and fuel trim are almost identical between the 2V and 4V.

Auto transmission for one thing would fire off codes. The PATS key system would cause issues since it would be programmed for the Mark VIII key. The gauge cluster is totally different, the Mark VIII doesn't have an oil pressure sensor. It's programmed with a bunch of other DTC's like the air ride and the information center on the Mark VIII is tied in with the computer.

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
The injectors are the same as the GT. The spark table and fuel trim are almost identical between the 2V and 4V.

Auto transmission for one thing would fire off codes. The PATS key system would cause issues since it would be programmed for the Mark VIII key. The gauge cluster is totally different, the Mark VIII doesn't have an oil pressure sensor. It's programmed with a bunch of other DTC's like the air ride and the information center on the Mark VIII is tied in with the computer.
I'm sorry to keep dwelling on this but you are wrong. I called part stores and got part numbers for OE replacement fuel injectors for both a 1994 Lincoln Mark VIII and a 2004 Mustang GT. I checked those numbers with the manufacturer information, and they have two different flow rates.
The Mark VIII has 24# injectors and the Mustang has 19# injectors.

Yeah I guess the auto tranny would cause a huge issue as well as the PATS... and the oil pressure...and the gauges...and the other DTCs haha I wouldn't want to dick with all of that.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I'm sorry to keep dwelling on this but you are wrong. I called part stores and got part numbers for OE replacement fuel injectors for both a 1994 Lincoln Mark VIII and a 2004 Mustang GT. I checked those numbers with the manufacturer information, and they have two different flow rates.
The Mark VIII has 24# injectors and the Mustang has 19# injectors.

Yeah I guess the auto tranny would cause a huge issue as well as the PATS... and the oil pressure...and the gauges...and the other DTCs haha I wouldn't want to dick with all of that.
Part number lookup on rockauto lists the GT injector from 96-98 to match the Mark VIII injector from 96-98. You are correct that 94 uses a different injector.... That's very odd....

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
This write up just made me want to switch out a Mark VIII motor instead of a PI swap.
Each has it's advantage and disadvantage. The PI swap remains the 2V, so you can get items like cams and LT headers for cheaper. The Mark VIII switches to the 4V which has more potential for forced induction, but items like cams at LT's will cost you a bit more. Power for power, I think the Mark VIII swap will net you more, unless you go with something like the Patriot heads. The Mark VIII swap can definitely be cheaper, most PI swaps cost around $500, I got my Mark VIII motor for $219.

If I was given the option of the PI swap, or the Mark VIII swap, I would take the Mark VIII any day of the week.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
i also did the markviii swap in my sn95.. but i did a little more power stuff to mine.. like the 98 cobra intake,97 cobra intake cams,04cobra exh cams..
stuff like that.. but nice write up

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
i also did the markviii swap in my sn95.. but i did a little more power stuff to mine.. like the 98 cobra intake,97 cobra intake cams,04cobra exh cams..
stuff like that.. but nice write up
Right. I was going for the cheapest possible option. Those cobra intakes are more that I paid for the entire motor, which is why I didn't bother.

·
Mach1 FTW
2,223 Posts
this is a great write-up and i will be using it to help me with my swap.
hopefully this will settle all the negative comments i see here and there about this swap costing thousands upon thousnads of dollars and not netting much gains for the money spent. glad to see someone attempt it with good results. keep us updated with anything new :rockon

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
this is a great write-up and i will be using it to help me with my swap.
hopefully this will settle all the negative comments i see here and there about this swap costing thousands upon thousnads of dollars and not netting much gains for the money spent. glad to see someone attempt it with good results. keep us updated with anything new :rockon
Nah, it was cheaper than a PI swap. Where the insane amounts of money come in is when you do the IMRC delete plates ($259), the cobra intake ($300+), and LT headers ($500+). You are then looking at over $1000 in parts, plus the engine. I wanted a good replacement to the NPI 2V for as cheap as possible.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
It's the old style intake, vacuum IMRC's. The price is decent I guess, but you have to ask WHY it blew the HG, if the head is warped, you could get into a larger sum of money. If the heads are OK, you should be able to rebuild it cheap enough. I still say it would be better to find a 97+ Motor unless you are doing a Cobra intake swap.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So I cant get to the link that Mr97stanggt has but I already have a 93 Mark 8 motor. I am planning on buying a cobra intake and doing the swap. Will your guide still work If i do that replacement? I found some cobra parts like intake and stuff for cheap. So I am wondering what else I must buy. Any info would help thanks.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Sticky i will probably be needing thi in the near future and it is easier to find when stickied! So sticky it oh yea Sticky

21 - 40 of 61 Posts