Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
WHOOP!
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A few people have asked me how I did my lights so I thought I would lay the steps out:

1)Remove lights, apply VHT, and let them dry.
2)Lightly wetsand (sand while running a mixture of soap and water) the VHT coat with 1000 and 1500 grit sandpaper. Use a sanding block to distribute the load (I used a sponge).
3)Apply a few coats of any kind of spray on automotive clear, wetsanding in between coats after the clear has dried. (you don't have to sand too much, just make sure you do it evenly.)
4)The last coat of clear should be pretty heavy, but make sure you don't go too far or it will run.
5)Wetsand the final coat until it is hazy and smooth to the touch. It shouldn't be sticky. Don't go too far though or you will sand through the clear.
6)Reinstall and buff the lights. Some people use the Mequiar's 3 stage package with the cutting compound, polish and wax. I used what I had lying around, Mother's mag wheel polish and then ScratchX. You can buff by hand or with an orbital buffer. To be safe, mask off area around the light. It should be shiny after this step.
7)Wax the lights to protect the finish.

*Steps 5 and 6 are what give it the mirror finish

If you do it right it should look like this:

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Don't forget to tell people to take the lights off of the car and to tape around the parts you DO NOT want painted and all. That is a key step. No body wants sanding marks on the bumper or trunk.

Also, you can use a mix of water, quick detail spray, and soap (or a diluted degreaser) for the wetsand mix.

·
WHOOP!
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I actually did the last wetsanding/buffing step while it was mounted. I was just super careful. If you are hand buffing you don't need to tape it off but with an orbital you should. While your painting they need to be off for sure though.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Could you wet sand your headlights? I don't want mine to be smoked bcs i have hids but they are chipped a bit bcs of the rocks and stuff from cars in front. Could i sand it and make it smooth?

·
Buy American or GTFO
515 Posts
This technique works for headlights too if they are VHT'd

1 - 10 of 10 Posts