Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've installed a new stereo and I'm getting the dreaded buzzing droning noise that goes up and down as the car's revs go up and down. There is also a little bit of noise through the speakers as the cd player skips to the next song. It makes this noise even if the car is off.

Now I've installed several stereos in many different cars and the couple times I came across this problem it was a poor ground. I've double and triple checked all my grounds and they seem to be fine. (Also they're all the same grounds my last stereo and amps used with no problems) The only thing that is different this time is that I have three pre-outs and I'm using all of them instead of just two with the last stereo. Sub-out to one amp and both front and rear-outs into a different amp. All my power and ground wires are 10ga and the rca cables are ginormous and of good quality. The stereo is a Kenwood excelon kdc-x395.

Any insight, ideas, or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
537 Posts
Do you have the RCA wires near any power wires? or do they intersect at one point?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One of them runs parallel to the power wire going to the trunk for the amp. The other two RCA cables run down the passenger side along with the remote wires to the amps.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Alot of the time the issue is with the RCA cables being right next to the power wire. I would run all the RCA wires on the same side (passenger).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, as far as I can tell, the issue is the fact that I have an RCA cable going from the rear pre-out to the rear input on the amp AND one from the front pre-out going to the front input on the same amp. I have no problems if I only have one or the other plugged in and no problems if I split one RCA cable into two and run the same cable to both front and rear inputs on the amp. Maybe there's an issue with the amp. It's pretty old.

It will work for now. The buzzing is gone. I've just lost fader control and I have to get in the trunk to adjust the front and rear levels. Not really a big deal. Just kind of annoying after spending more than I really wanted to so I could have three pre-outs.

...And I'm over it.

·
Registered
387 Posts
You may try a clamp on magnet to knock down some of that EMI also.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts