Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So.. took my car to the shop to find out what this poping noise was when I made a right turn. They told me that it was the sterring rack bushings. Anyone know where I can buy replacements and if it would be something I could do myself?

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Danger To Manifold
1,488 Posts
I'm not sure on the bbk bushings if they do anything.

Although I can tell you that if you have a set of ratchets, some wrenches and a way to get under your car safely they are very easy to do.

Just remove the through bolts that secure the rack to the K frame and pop out the bushings, slap the new ones in and tighten it all back down.

·
MM's Official Lucifer
4,081 Posts
Agreed with RFM, easy to replace, however it may be in your best interest to simply replace the entire steering rack. Those are about $200 after core charge of $100 when you send yours to them. Just check into it, rather than spend the $70 or whatever and have it be somethin else just replace it all. My 2 cents.

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The shop wants $100 for labor. I have no idea what I would be replacing with this tho. I would like to do it myself... but have no clue what I would be getting into.

·
MM's Official Lucifer
4,081 Posts
That's another reason I suggest replacing the whole rack. It isn't too difficult. I'm about to undertake this as well, my steering has gotten sloppy.

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you know of any write ups? I can't find anything in the Hanes manual. I would do this myself... but have not the slightest clue where to start.

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also, would it be possible to do this without a lift... say 2 jacks?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Im also interested in a writeup if you have one available :)... Ive been wanting to do this the past few weeks but just havent gotten to it.

·
MM's Official Lucifer
4,081 Posts
Yes to doing it with only jackstands/jack. Let me see what I can find. My resource on the ease of installation is my father, who has done it on other vehicles. Worst comes to it I'll definitely have a write-up after I do as I do with every other install, but I'll see if I can come up with somethin' else in the meantime.

·
MM's Official Lucifer
4,081 Posts
*For the steering rack, not for the bushings themselves.

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think what I may do it simply order new bushing specifically for a lowered car and replace them myself. If I still have issues with the poping noise I can go from there. If its just some bolts then I can do it. Its just a matter of what bolts and where the bushing are located.

The book I have makes no reference to a Steering rack & pinon. Would it go by another name?

I found this diagram:

So that gives me an idea of where they might be. Are they near the tire or closer to the center?

·
Danger To Manifold
1,488 Posts
I took a picture while at work of the steering rack on a mustang for you. I'll highlite where the bushings are and show you what bolts to remove later on when I get home.

Don't just go replacing the power rack for no reason. If your rack is perfectly fine spend the 15 bucks on the bushings. Besides a new rack doesn't even come with the bushings installed. You still have to transfer them.

I found this out when mine blew the seals.

=====================================================

Ok here is the way I would do it if I only had jack stands.

1) Park the car on a level surface away from traffic to work
2) Set the parking brake
3) Raise the car one side at a time and support each side with a locking jack stand
4) Lock the steering wheel
5) Get under the front of the car with your assortment of wrenches and sockets. I believe they are anywhere from 10 MM to 19 MM but I don't remember.
6) If you look at the rack you should see two bolts with retaining nuts sticking out the front as in the picture below. You are seeing the ends of the through bolt, on the other side of the K frame there are the bolt heads. Use your wrench or ratchet to hold the bolt while you turn the retaining nut on the front.
7) Once the nuts are off the front and the through bolts are pulled out the rack should sag a little. If you are unable to get the rack awat from the frame you may have to remove or loosen the bolt from the intermeadiate shaft to the steering gear and seperate the two so that the rack moves freely. The rubber bushings on the inside of the rack are whats being replaced.
8) Pull the bushings out and put the new ones in. Then reinstall by reversing the removal proceedure.

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow, thanks a ton! That clears up alot. I already ordered the Offset Bushings from AM. I am gonna get under the car tomorrow evening and just look around. If I have any questions I will contact you.

+reps my friend!

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)

·
MM's Official Lucifer
4,081 Posts
The racks I've been looking at come with the bushings, that's the only reason I suggested that, and they def. go out over time. The rack is stationary, it's the ends and internals that move. I thought you had been referring to the piece in the top left corner of your pic.

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The racks I've been looking at come with the bushings, that's the only reason I suggested that, and they def. go out over time. The rack is stationary, it's the ends and internals that move. I thought you had been referring to the piece in the top left corner of your pic.
I don't understand. So are the two bolts you pointed out where these bushings go or not? I thought thats what you were saying in your first post with the pic.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts