Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Scoot'in
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the front end re-balanced today, the tech said the balance was off... but still get a shakey steering wheel at 50mph. Do you think its a bent rim? Rims have no major damage that show a bent rim.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
When did it start? Does it go away using the brakes? If so, that could be a warped rotor catching the pads. Do you still have the rubber rag joint in the steering column or an aftermarket with actual u-joints? The rubber eventually wears out and gets sloppy. Check the shaft where it enters the rack to.

Do your tires have any cupping or feathering? That could be the balljoints or tie rods or loose wheel bearings. Speaking of which, when was your last alignment?

·
Scoot'in
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll check to see if it stops while breaking. and then go from there. I think the tires are good, they are new, and I think the alignment was done with the new tires done by the previous owner...

·
R.A.D
5,413 Posts
No, If its wiggling at 50 mph its balancing. That or an alignment. Don't always believe what your Mechanic tells you. They feed you bullshit.

·
Scoot'in
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took it to the shop that did the balancing before so it was rebalanced under warranty. Still wiggling so I guess I should take it back to the same place and go from there?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Actually, a warped rotor will only wiggle the steering WHEN YOU BRAKE. Not when you're at cruise. Loose or worn tie rod ends have been known to do this. Also, a separating tire will cause this symptom as well.

And a little fun fact about tire shops: lazy shops tend to neglect calibrating their balancing machines on a daily basis. When I worked in the industry, the shop I worked at had us do it every single day, this ensured an accurate balance every time. There is also operator error which accounts for some issues.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Does this shop have a road force balancer? Your rim might not be bent, but the tire could have the core stretched. Basically tire could be shot. I had same problem, as well as my driveshaft being in wrong place

·
Registered
401 Posts
Does this shop have a road force balancer? Your rim might not be bent, but the tire could have the core stretched. Basically tire could be shot. I had same problem, as well as my driveshaft being in wrong place
This! It's both amazing how well road force balancing works and amazing how many shops aren't using it. It basically matches the high spot of the tire to the lowest spot of the rim to reduce as much road force as possible (measured in lbs of pressure).

The idea here is simple. You can balance a brick but it still won't roll very well! lol. Same goes for the tire/wheel assembly. Balancing is just part of it, you still want the make the assembly as perfectly round as possible. Where I worked, Cooper tires actually set us up with the machine, a GSP 9700, which really cut down on their tire returns and adjustments. It's an expensive machine so most little tire shops don't have one. You mostly find them at dealerships and such.

·
I Have A FLATULENT Butthole.
7,889 Posts
No, If its wiggling at 50 mph its balancing. That or an alignment. Don't always believe what your Mechanic tells you. They feed you bullshit.
The amount of misinformation in this post in unbelievable. First if all, alignment will never cause a vibration. Second, there is many things that can cause a vibration. The number one is usually cupped tires from worn shocks/struts or lack if rotation. Others range from wheel bearings, brakes, tire rods, broken belts and bad bushings on various parts.

OP, ignore what the guy I quoted said. I would check your tires first for cupping on the inner edge (flat spots/ rough tread all the way around). If those are good then look for bad front end parts.

My money is on the tires though.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
401 Posts
Yeah i didn't see how an alignment would cause a vibration either.

·
7,889 Posts
Yeah i didn't see how an alignment would cause a vibration either.
Trust me. It wont. I'm sitting next to a co worker and my manager right now, who combined have almost 70 years experience with front end work and alignments, and that's directly from them. Also if you know anything about alignments, you can come to that conclusion your self.

My dads work had one, that's how I found out the tire was toast
If you're talking about a road force balancer, I'm sitting about fifteen feet from one :p

·
7,889 Posts
Rotated the tires today and I think its gone.
*coughtoldyasocough* ;)

Like I said its probably cupping on the front from worn struts or lack of rotation. Most manufacturers recommend 7500 mikes between rotations. Without proof of that, it voids an mileage warranty with the tires.

Sadly, most people don't know this and don't rotate their tires, then I get yelled at because their 60000 mile tires only lasted 40000 miles and it must be a manufacturer defect.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts