Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought my car in February and haven't stopped modding the car since. Car was bone stock when I bought and I just got done doing my Pypes Long tube header install.

Current mods:
Pypes long tube headers
Bassani cat-back
smoked tails
smoked fogs
JLT intake
SCT tuner
Cobra R wheels 18x9 front, 18x10 rear
Chin spoiler
4.10 gears (need to install)
And some other miscellaneous things.

Now it is time for the suspension. So far I have/ordered.

Ford Racing 1.5" drop lowering springs
J&M caster/camber plates
J&M Adjustable pan hard rod
J&M Extreme Joint Rear Lower Control Arms
J&M Adjustable Rear Upper Control Arm

The question is what should I get next? Should I get new shock/struts? Or front and rear sway bars? The car is mainly a DD but I do go to the track every weekend.

I was thinking about getting the Tokico D-Spec Adjustable Strut & Shock Kit.

And sway bars? Whats good and which ones should I stay away from? I would like to do this once and be done. So I can start adding more power to the car.

Plans are to finish the suspension then get Blow by racing stage 2 cams and valve springs and then after that some nitrous. My goal is to get the car to 11.5 and then stop with modding the car.

Thanks for your help.

Here are a few pictures on the car.

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
YES, you will need new struts!!!! Factory ones wont hold up to being lowered, and when you put those JM plates in, you will know it.. Ive been there... I have the same plates, there is no rubber in them, so any flaws with your failed struts are going to be super loud!! After I dropped mine, I ordered plates, put them in a few weeks later, before I even got out of the drive way I though I forgot to tighten something up.. after about 3 times going threw the nuts and bolts, I finnaly called JM, they told me my struts where junk, I didn't beleive them at first, because the car only had 3k on it since new.. but they said it super common, and sometimes even new they are like that, just the factory rubber mounts have so much rubber you won't hear it.. Ordered up Koni Str.t shocks and struts, and that was the fix, plus the Koni's are made for lowered cars.. Tokico's will work too, the only reason I went with Koni was because I couldn't find hardly any negative comments anywhere about them.. and I found mabe two or three about the Tokico.. Which is still awesome considering how hard I looked around.. So either way it will be a good option.. And no adjustables for me, don't go to the track..

Also, when I pulled my factory right side strut out, it was pissin oil.. Good sign your gas charged strut is toast when its leaking oil..

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
For drag racing im not sure those are the correct springs

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. So shocks/struts are a must for lowered s197? Thumbie whats wrong with using those springs? Like I said I only go to the track once a week sometimes not even that much it's more of a DD then anything. What springs would you recommend? I saw good reviews on the springs that's why I bought them.

·
Not Banned
6,620 Posts
any springs will work for drag racing. but some are better for weight transfer than others. i'd go with an adjustable shock for the rear if you're going to be doing alot of racing.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
so since my car is lowered before any other suspension mods you should get some shocks and struts?

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
so since my car is lowered before any other suspension mods you should get some shocks and struts?
Yeah if your lowered it will kill the factory struts.. If you have the stock strut mounts still in it, you might not know it.., But those JM plates have a spearical bearing, and no rubber, very nice part, but it will transfer any issues with the struts to the car.. So it then becomes very noticeable that somethings wrong. The people at JM told me that it is very common, and they have done cars for dealers in there area, and right from the the dealer, after they lowered them and put plates on them, they had about 6 or 7 with bad struts.. this was a few years ago. If you have questions I would call up the company that makes the lowering kit, ask them, see what they recomend. Im guessing they will tell you to buy different struts..

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
haha, well thats good news... well i might move that to the top of the list, or just order them with the s/c i guess! thanks for the info!

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
No problem!!! Honestly I had my crap torn apart about 6 times.. once when I put the springs in, then I spent a day putting shortie headers on, and those CC plates, finished up at about 11 at night, and honestly made it about 20 feet and it sounded like something was loose.. so, spent a few more hours going threw everything I did.. then would get home from work and try a few things.. then called JM.. Then ordered up shocks and struts. tore it apart again and put the new parts on.. I was super freakin lame to spend all day and get all excited to try it out, and it sounds like a toilet seat floppin around.. Don't wish anyone to have to go through that crap!!!!

Plus my buddy who sold me the headers told me don't bother, just buy Long Tubes.. I should have listend.... All that freakin work... And I now have LT's on order, so Ill be doing it all over again.. Well, atleast this time I already know what Im doing...

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
thats pretty awesome!! haha, at least you know the car then! i am from a town outside of rochester, mn.... where abouts are you at?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No problem!!! Honestly I had my crap torn apart about 6 times.. once when I put the springs in, then I spent a day putting shortie headers on, and those CC plates, finished up at about 11 at night, and honestly made it about 20 feet and it sounded like something was loose.. so, spent a few more hours going threw everything I did.. then would get home from work and try a few things.. then called JM.. Then ordered up shocks and struts. tore it apart again and put the new parts on.. I was super freakin lame to spend all day and get all excited to try it out, and it sounds like a toilet seat floppin around.. Don't wish anyone to have to go through that crap!!!!

Plus my buddy who sold me the headers told me don't bother, just buy Long Tubes.. I should have listend.... All that freakin work... And I now have LT's on order, so Ill be doing it all over again.. Well, atleast this time I already know what Im doing...

WOW!!! That sucks! Like I said I really don't want to be doing something twice so I rather spend the $$$$ to do it right the first time.

Okay next on my list is shocks/struts and then some sway bars. What kind of sway bars are you guys running?

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
For drag racing im not sure those are the correct springs
Thanks for the replies. So shocks/struts are a must for lowered s197? Thumbie whats wrong with using those springs? Like I said I only go to the track once a week sometimes not even that much it's more of a DD then anything. What springs would you recommend? I saw good reviews on the springs that's why I bought them.
Well, that just came out wrong lol. It's not that they are bad, I have heard that stiffer/lower springs are more geared towards turning while rear drag springs tend to be a lil softer. not stock but not hard like race springs. even then, i think it only matters if your serious (which I am not lol) and you sound more like the casual racer. Drag suspension is not my section (plz no neg reps ;) )

one thing I know everyone can benefit from is a stiffer frame/chasis.

EDIT: Car looks badass BTW. what tires are those the tread patter is dope

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Koni sports should be what your looking at. An actualy lifetime warranty that will be backed up. They are on sale right now too, except the front are on national back order :(

As for bars i would either go for the Strano Parts set or the Hotchkis set. Both have an adjustable rear bar and hallow while a lot of other companys do not have either.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Where are they on sale at? I saw some on BMR's site but that's the only place I found so far.

Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
I grew up, and live in the twin cites.. I have spent some time down there at a race track, Deer Creek... How did you end up in Kansas????

·
Bob The Mo'fukkin Builda!
10,234 Posts
there are certain rear suspension set-ups that are better for different uses. if you are going to be wanting to go straight on the weekends and still be able to drive it around town there are better options than the stock set-up.

BMR Rear Xtreme Anti-roll Bar

even though the description says drag race only most people that use it also drive with it on the street.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts