Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Old timer
9,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced my rack and pinion, installed cc plates, got an alignment, and better tires, and there is still about an inch of play to both sides when I turn the wheel. Any idea?

Also, when I barely turn to the left or right it feels like the suspension is grinding on something through the steering wheel, and makes a slight humming sound.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I know this is probably the dumbest suggestion ever, so don't flame me! I know gear heads that have overlooked this...power steering fluid for the humming sound?

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
I take it the tie rod ends checked out ok when you changed the rack and everything?

·
Registered
997 Posts
^^^ anything is possible.
but personally i would make sure all the bolts are tight.
check the shaft play.
possibly even the wheel tilt colum just check it everywere.
the stearing in my truck was real loose and i looked and there was 4 bolts that i could take off with my fingers. tightened them up and it was all striaght.

maybe some one else can chime in with more details.

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
for the noise, maybe the stearing shaft is hitting on the LTs a little.

·
Not a Rational Car Guy
38,186 Posts
Ball Joints.

·
Not a Rational Car Guy
38,186 Posts
I'm also wandering if it could be the whole steering linkage itself...

·
Not a Rational Car Guy
38,186 Posts
^ i was wondering the same. maybe bad rack bushings, but it would be popping.
Yeah.

Ryan, jack the car up on the front lower control arms; then take the wheel itself and pull it like it would when you'd turn the wheel. How much play is there?

·
Registered
266 Posts
if you have L/T's check the steering shaft joint, mine had melted the rubber isolator and the metal had become soft or weakened causing play in the wheel. I noticed by popping the hood and looked down and the steering shaft as I wiggle the steering wheel (car off) and noticed the top part of the shaft was moving while the bottom part was not.
Good luck

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
if you have L/T's check the steering shaft joint, mine had melted the rubber isolator and the metal had become soft or weakened causing play in the wheel. I noticed by popping the hood and looked down and the steering shaft as I wiggle the steering wheel (car off) and noticed the top part of the shaft was moving while the bottom part was not.
Good luck
+1 on this

·
Old timer
9,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good luck
This is the only thing I havent tried. Ill check that when i get home. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Play in the steering wheel is built into the system. 2 issues. 1 your rack bushings, unless they are solid, you will always have a tiny bit from this. The biggest issue is your steering shafts rag joint. It is a rubber connector that the universal joint in your steering shaft connects to. It is rubber and allows alot of play. The only way around it is a flaming river replacement piece that has a solid connector.

·
Old timer
9,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Play in the steering wheel is built into the system. 2 issues. 1 your rack bushings, unless they are solid, you will always have a tiny bit from this. The biggest issue is your steering shafts rag joint. It is a rubber connector that the universal joint in your steering shaft connects to. It is rubber and allows alot of play. The only way around it is a flaming river replacement piece that has a solid connector.
My mach 1 and 00 gt barely had any play in them at all. I'm not talking about a slight play in the bullitt, its a good inch on both sides.

·
Boost gets you laid
2,625 Posts
i'd say its probably the rubber isolator in the steering shaft. MM sells one too

1 - 15 of 15 Posts