Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I use my stock damper from my 2004 2V motor on my new MMR750 shortblock? Or do I need to get a different one (that fits the "Cobra" style shortblock)?

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
depending on which crank they sent you, the newer kellog cranks have deeper set threads for the crank bolt so you may have to use a gt500 crank bolt.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
depending on which crank they sent you, the newer kellog cranks have deeper set threads for the crank bolt so you may have to use a gt500 crank bolt.
Funny you should mention this.

My mechanic said that (after he put on the degree wheel to degree the cams and when he was about to install the damper) the threads on the crank are messed up!!!!

Is this something that he can fix, or is he going to be buying me a new crankshaft??????

F' me.

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
sounds fishy to me, it sounds like he eather used the wrong bolt, or he tried to pull the dampaner on using the crank bolt and stripped the threads out.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Actually, when he emailed me, he implied that he "just noticed" the bad threads before he installed the damper. Wouldn't he have had to thread a bolt in the end of the crank to hold the degree wheel???

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
yes, he has to thread a bolt into the crank to put the degree wheel in. unfortunatly it sounds like he goobered up the threads a little. he can re-thread it just fine to fix it, but there is no way i would feel happy about re threading a new crank.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm glad you're on the site right now.

I'm NOT HAPPY to say the least!!!

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
i would call mmr on your order and see which crank they used. like i said kellog changed their crank so it uses the new style crank blolt but the frpp crank still uses the oem bolt. your mechanic could have been one of those stupid guys who did not use the proper tool to install your dampaner and tried to use a bolt to pull it on and pulled the threads out of the end.

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
you spend the money on that short block, drop the coin for a good once piece dampner

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i would call mmr on your order and see which crank they used. like i said kellog changed their crank so it uses the new style crank blolt but the frpp crank still uses the oem bolt. your mechanic could have been one of those stupid guys who did not use the proper tool to install your dampaner and tried to use a bolt to pull it on and pulled the threads out of the end.
Thanks, I will.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My mechanic emailed me back saying that his degree wheel fits over the outer diameter of the crank and is held in place with a "keyway".

Thus, he hasn't touched the threads on the crank yet.

Does this make any sense?

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I asked MMR about the crank bolt and they said indeed I would need the "GT500" crank bolt to fit this crank.

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
i would order it from mmr to make sure it works. that way if you run into any hang ups you can prove to them you bought all the parts from them and there is no issue with getting the motor covered.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts