Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just scored the complete running gear from an 86 GT Mustang. 5.0, 5 speed with 3:55 rear end for $200.00!. I got everything needed to drop into my "special project".
Wanting some help on what to do with the 5.0 for the most bang for the buck for power. Planning on running the 5 speed and mustang pedal assembly. also running the 3:55 once fresh internals are installed. The "project" weighs in at 2800 lbs. 3050 lbs with my big butt in the seat.:D
Should I go with the FI(non mass flow system) set up or carb to start with? Cam choice for street / strip?
Planning on slide-a-link traction bars.
Thank for any guidance!
Scrap Sr,

·
Registered
51 Posts
If you don't have to mess w/ emissions, go to carb. If you want a reliable street bruiser, I would recommend FI, but w/ mass air. Most bang for the buck w/ you already having gears is spray. And drag radials b/c you will need them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well thats good news! I have a NO2 system good for up to 175 shot. Also forgot to mention the headers and 3" exhaust system(with X pipe) and flowmaters that was on the car. Carb sound good to start with. What about a better cam profile?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I did a cam back in the day on my first 89, before I had anything else to it, "E-cam"(I know), and it didn't gain ****. But I have heard a custom grind cam w/ spray, and a tune can make great #'s. 3" exhaust maybe too much, but let someone w/ experience on that chime in. Longtubes are good but a pia to work around. If it is a toy to play w/ and nothing your gonna drive long distances in, carbs are great imo. But i'm not old school, and I can't tune a carb worth a ****.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Personally, if I could do it all again, I would go carb'd. I've spent way too much money on the FI so far. Yea its more reliable and you can make more power, but if you're looking at it from a money standpoint, thats my opinion. If money isn't an object, then go FI. This also depend on what kind of power you plan to make. If you are going to keep it relatively mild and keep the stock intake, injectors, ect.. then keep the FI.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It will be a weekend terror. First nobody really knows what kind of car it is. Second I love 5.0's period! so swapping it out for a factory brand motor will be all pleasure for me. I have allot of decent power parts so I guess I will go carb and big spray. How much do you feel the stock bottom end can handle? Hoping for 400 HP on spray? Can alway keep adding better parts as time goes by. You know how it is, never satisfied until parts start flying off the body at WOT.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Stock bottom ends on a 5.0 are good for about 450-500 crank hp with a good tune, also assuming that it is a forged piston bottom end, which yours should be if its an 86. I've heard of guys making 500+ rwhp on a stock block and it lived just fine and I've heard of guys making plenty less than 500 at the crank and have had problems. Its all in the tune.

·
Registered
146 Posts
change the heads if you can and becareful with the cam profile because the 86 does not have valve reliefs in the pistons.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
yea you can spray a 150 shot all day on a bone stock fifty no problem. so 400 horsies should be fine

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounding better all the time. What intake would you recommend for a carb set up? I have a 750 Holley, to much if jetted properly? Will be really careful on the cam selection. Easy on the lift maybe a little more duration. Ignition? lots of questions I know.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Do the cam last. Get all of your performance parts lined up and then call a reputable cam company and give them the specs of your ride. ie. weight, trans, gears, heads, cubes, compression ratio, ect.. the list goes on and on, just make sure you have this info before you call. and make sure they know its going to be a nitrous motor. They can recommend the best off the shelf grind for your application. Or go custom grind. Ignition-wise, I would go MSD. As far as the intake, I would choose one that will fit your RPM range. I like the Victor Jr. The more power you make down low, the more fun it is on the street IMO.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
can really go wrong with msd ignition....if i were you i might just go ahead and change the pistons so you can run the cam you want

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK, next question. I'm going to mod the factory gas tank by welding the Mustang fuel pump ring mount in the top of the tank. The factory Mustang fuel lines are rusted through so can I use rubber hose in place of the hard lines as long as they are FI rubber lines. I was think of Russel steel braided lines. Possibly going bigger on the lines since I'm changing them anyway? Or is it best to go with aluminum or steel lines? Also going with and adjustable fuel pressure regulator. Looking for somewhat inexpensive mods for better performance. This is a low budget project at first.

What you see in the sig below is what the 5.0 is going in.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts