Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve recently put an oil pump on my car, I feel like the ghetto bbk piggy back style ups I have were the culprit. Especially since installing it again and I can see the pulley running out a little bit. I don’t have my stock pulleys anymore, would it be the end of the world to put my stock harmonic balancer back on and run it with the aftermarket water pump/alternator pulleys? I’m more concerned about the water pump pulley if anything at all. Will be ordering a steeda kit shortly.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Will it fit? Underdrive is achieved by either making the crank/main (drive) pulley smaller or the accessory (driven) pulley larger than the original diameter pulleys or both. The set on my car when I bought it had a smaller crank pulley and a larger water pump pulley. When I had the supercharger installed I didn't want to spin it too slow reducing boost so I bought a stock crank pulley. It wouldn't fit. There is not a lot of clearance and the larger stock crank pulley hit the larger underdrive water pump pulley. Out of frustration I bought an electric water pump to replace the underdrive pulley.

The stock crank pulley might not fit without changing the water pump pulley.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ended up throwing on the stock balancer and keeping the bbk water pump pulley, it clears but barely. I had to take the water pump pulley off and wrap the belt around it then put it back on. Works fine now but have a stock pulley ordered.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I can almost guarantee that's why it failed. You are lucky the front main isn't failed either. Those piggy back setups are bad. I bought one, installed it, and sent it back after I could visibly see the pully just runout out radially. I ordered a set of trick flow sfi approved for a bit more, but it replaces the harmonic balancer with a smaller one. Works great. I would have rolled the front main out and checked it if I were you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts