Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curios what Horse power my motor stock crank can hold? I also have cobra rods, Manley pistons I'm about 10:1 or 11:1, arp head studs, bullitt intake manifold I plan on porting the heads and intake soon don't think that matters I'm also a nitorous motor so what's a good shot to run. I pretty much just broke in the motor so going for a tune soon like to have an idea what I can push it to

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
13,581 Posts
Your crank will far exceed your pistons and Rods, as for the stock crank itself I would say 700 easily before the crank stresses.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
MMR sells a 600 rwhp motor with a stock crank and forged rods and pistons so you combo should be good to 600 rwhp.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Im running stock crank, with off brand mmr h-beams and mahle forged pistons, im at 425rwhp at the moment with no problems and im looking to push 500rwhp once i get my new HPX MAF cause i pegged the lightning MAF

What do you think is your goal OP

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
what did you pay for them? Would it be worth it to find some out of a cobra or is there another kind I should go with, 500rwhp saftly sounds like fun, I talked to a guy that owns a shop a couple hours from me and he said not to go over 390 rwhp with the on 3 cause turbos make a bunch of torque and my rods wouldnt last for ****.. got me thinking

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
Just curios what Horse power my motor stock crank can hold? I also have cobra rods, Manley pistons I'm about 10:1 or 11:1, arp head studs, bullitt intake manifold I plan on porting the heads and intake soon don't think that matters I'm also a nitorous motor so what's a good shot to run. I pretty much just broke in the motor so going for a tune soon like to have an idea what I can push it to

10 or 11? That's a huge difference. If you have the parts you say you have it will hold 600-700 with no issues.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
what did you pay for them? Would it be worth it to find some out of a cobra or is there another kind I should go with, 500rwhp saftly sounds like fun, I talked to a guy that owns a shop a couple hours from me and he said not to go over 390 rwhp with the on 3 cause turbos make a bunch of torque and my rods wouldnt last for ****.. got me thinking
Guys are selling them all over used or bought and never used for 3 or 400 I paid 350 for mine never used and put ARP bolts in them

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Im running stock crank, with off brand mmr h-beams and mahle forged pistons, im at 425rwhp at the moment with no problems and im looking to push 500rwhp once i get my new HPX MAF cause i pegged the lightning MAF

What do you think is your goal OP
I usually go for 30-50 from what's "safe" so say 600 is safe I'd like to get anywhere from 550-570 depends how much nitrous iv can safely use. Yes I know ill need a new fuel pump and all that good stuff

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
You're going to need more than a fuel pump.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
i payed 550$ for the mahle piston/piston ring combo and like $390 for the rods w/arp bolts. forgot what i paid for the rod/main bearings which i also got from mmr

both quality pieces and not bad for a little piece of mind at 500rwhp.

mmr does have a nice piston(manley)/rod(mmr brand)/ring combo for 999$ comes with assembly lube too and

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
damn I think im going to order some MMR rods next week or this weekend.. Those looks sick as ****.. looks like WHAT MOTHER ****ER WHAT YOU LOOKING AT..ME? ME? I DO WORK AAAHHHHHHHH

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
I wouldnt think twice about pushing a cast crank to 600rwhp... Where the situation gets tricky is at what RPM.... Its not so much the HP that kills a crankshaft... Its the RPM. 600rwhp at 6k RPM is alot different than 7600rpm.... But for all purposes of example I dont believe in reving hot rods and street driven cars beyond 6500 if at all possible so under that standard I wouldnt worry until north of 600rwhp.

My 408w runs a scat 9000 nodular cast crank, 4340 I beam rods, JE pistons...11:1 compression with a 254/260 ..700 lift solid roller and makes north of 600hp. Some guys would call that a time bomb and others say its perfectly normal. Its all about RPM. This particular motor has a 3" diameter main bearing which is NOT rev friendly. Alot of guys do rev the piss out of them but its not a good situation to be in if avoidable... My motor made 602fwhp at 6100rpm and peaked at 626 @ 6550.. I shift it between 6-6300 usually. Its a torque monster. It doesnt run any faster shifting at 6500 than it does 6000. It actually goes a little slower when over reving it.

·
Super Moderator
13,581 Posts
None of us have any actual hard data on the cast crank and hp limits but I've personally never heard of 1 breaking. me personally I would not run it once going to the extreme of pulling the motor out it is best to build that bitch to last under hard conditions instead of worrying every time you hit the throttle.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts