Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the difference between the stock diff and the Ford Racing traction-lok diff? Is the only difference the clutch packs? If so could I do the traction lock rebuild to my stock diff and come out with the same finished product? Also I tried searching and could not find much info about what the limits are of the stock 28 spline axles?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I ended up installing the Ford Racing T-lok, probably the best mod I ever did! you have the 7.5" rear end (i'm assuming you have the v6 too since youre looking for a t-lok?) Also called an open carrier unit (or 'single wheel peel lol') it is a 28 spline and the stock unit can handle somewhere close to 300ftlbs (same with the stock rear axle unit). The T-lok unit is almost identical inside compared to the open unit. However, if you were to build it yourself, it looks like you will have to machine a little bit for correct fitment within the housing. Also, if you have ABS there will be a ring and a cross pin you will have to make a notch in also so it will fit correctly. Plus fitment of the clutch packs etc. IMO if youre good with metal go for it! But if you buy the one from Ford Racing you can have it covered if anything breaks. I went thru two sets of rear end gears already, even tho the carrier unit never technically broke its still a PITA to drain the fluid and open it back up, adjust backlash, shims, etc. If you take it apart, install new gears too if you havent already! Might sound completely crazy but im running 4.56 gears, try to stick with 4.10 maximum IMO. All in all it is a lot of work lol

·
Registered
19 Posts
Oh! well thats probably completely different then. I'm still stuck with the 7.5" so my advice might not be the best for you. and the torque spec would be higher too!

·
_
3,782 Posts
What ford racing t-lok are you looking at? Link?

28 spine cant handle too much torque, though it ultimatly comes down to how the diff handles your torque.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts