Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Day.

I have an 2007 GT with an SM aluminum driveshaft. When I got the car there were no vibration issues. I had 4.10’s installed I got vibrations at all speed. It gets worse at the 65-75mph range. I was putting up with it until I was able to gather all the rear suspension parts. Instead I picked up a 2010 GT and I am now selling the 07. I took the SM out of the 07’ and put it in the 10’ , no vibrations. I put the 10’ stock shaft in the 07’ and I have vibration only at low speeds like taking off from a dead stop. I have not checked my pinion angle yet but I suspect it is off based on the vibrations after the gear change.
Before I spend another couple hundred bucks will an adjustable UCA fix this problem?

Thanks.

·
Registered
13,628 Posts
If you have the stock control arms on there, the gear swap should not have changed the angle. Did you ever try clocking the driveshaft on the 07 when it was vibrating? For some unexplainable reason they can vibrate one way and not the other sometimes. If they didn't put the DS on the same way, rotated 180* from where it was originally at, it may have caused the vibration. Also, depending on how long you drove and how bad the vibration was on the '07, you might have worn the pinion bearing and that could be letting the driveshaft vibrate. The stock 2-piece is very tolerable to changes in pinion angle. You might want to double check the carrier bearing bolts. A bad bearing or improperly torqued bolts can also allow the DS to vibrate.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice. One other question. Is there an alignment procedure for the stock shaft carrier bearing. I used the 2 spacers between the carrier bracket and the body that were used on 10' when I installed on the 07'. I left the bolts to the carrier loose when I bolted the DS to the output shaft then tightened the carrier mounting bolts last. Thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts