Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got one quick question for you all you lads here on mm.......

my oil pressure gauge, and my battery gauge never seem to move..... there always in the same position (a little over half), no matter what.... are these reliable gauges, or are they just kind tossed in there to make the dash look more appealing??

·
Registered
722 Posts
I thought the same thing with my Battery gauge until I was sitting in my car for over 2 hours listening to music (with a sound system) then I seen the bat gauge start to fall...

Your oil gauge is actually pretty accurate, just tells you that you have good oil pressure and your not gonna blow your engine,

Now unless it DOESN'T MOVE AT ALL regardless if it's on or not, then you have a problem.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Disconnect your battery for like 5 mins, hook it back up, turn your accessories on & your gauges should do a self check, they should flip all the way to their maxed out position and then flip back letting you know everything is working properly. With just your accessories on only the Battery & Fuel should move, nothing else, your temp gauge also depending if you had your car running to warm or operating temperature or not.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
The "gauges" are all identical stepper motors driven by the instrument cluster microcontroller.

Four--fuel level, engine temperature, speedometer and the tachometer--display data that was transmitted as data packets, from the PCM, over the SCP (Standard Corporate Protocol- J1850) bus, and interpreted by the cluster controller. Two are driven by analog inputs tied directly to the instrument cluster--these are the voltage meter and oil pressure gauges.

The oil pressure gauge is just a fancy "idiot light". The "sensor" is a switch that closes if the oil pressure is above 6 psi. The instrument cluster microcontroller firmware senses this signal and moves the "gauge" indicator to more or less the center position.

The voltage meter is a bit better. It is also driven by the cluster controller that senses the system voltage and uses firmware determine if it is within normal limits, if so it positions the indicator to what represents "normal".

Manufacturers created these dummy gauges to deal with the dummy consumer, many of whom if confronted with a real voltage or o/p gauge would run to the dealer freaking out about the fact that they "moved" all the time--going up and down along with the speed...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts