Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's a story I heard from a guy at the dealership that is a Ford Racing and Roush dealer. I was going to get long tube headers and an off road x pipe. The guy told me headers are a waste of money if your not pushing over 500hp because the stock ones are just fine. He said he's seen very little gains in HP only about 9-14 hp at the wheels from headers. Also he said no to got with a H pipe to stick with the X pipe. Basically told me to stay stock headers and get a X pipe w/ high flow cats from a good dealer like Borla, Magna Flow or Flow Master other wise the x would be to raspy. Any one have any thoughts on this and can you use stock headers with an X pipe with high flow cats?

·
Not Banned
6,620 Posts
the hp/dollar is relative to the buyer. people say the stock headers are good for over 500hp and they are. but the only way to get to that point is boost. and on a boosted GT, headers will typically show up to 30hp gains at the tire. this whole "xxxx stock piece is good for up to xxxhp" **** is gay.

look at it this way; if the exhaust, intake, heads, shortblock, etc, is good for up to 600hp then how the **** do people reach those numbers with all those stock peices?

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
He is right and wrong.

There is no disputing the merit in sound, torque, and HP that longtubes offer.

With that said, if I wasn't blown, I would put that $1500 into a supercharger (and initially run with stock exhaust, except for mufflers).

My mod order was: supercharger, suspension, mufflers, brakes, prochamber, then bigger supercharger, then longtubes with high flow cats.

·
Blood, Sweat and Gears...
2,139 Posts
LongTube headers are so misconceived, people think, I will get the LT's for 12 to 15 hp and that is it. NO NO NO it allows the other mod's to work up to there FULL potential plus the initial hp/tq gains, do to the fact of the scavenging they produce.
I guess what I am saying is everything works better with a set of LongTube headers...

·
Still slow.
8,738 Posts
H-pipe sounds better imo, X-pipe is better for performance. ST headers are virtually pointless and LT headers are better but it doesn't give everyone the same amount of horse power. It depends on the mods, if anything it helps the mods work at their best.

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
To be honest, I actually prefer the sound of the x-pipe..but to each his own. Performance wise the x-pipe is probably better as well. And on the headers, like it's been said above, it totally depends on your other mods to just help get the full potential out of them. On a basically stock set-up though, it wouldn't have too much of an effect.

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
Shorties are worthless. Longtubes are the only way to go. Gains are dependent on the set-up. I prefer the sound of the O/R X Pipe. Here's a clip of my car with the Magnaflow catback, not Magnapacks, O/R X Pipe, and factory exhaust manifolds.

To be honest, I actually prefer the sound of the x-pipe..but to each his own. Performance wise the x-pipe is probably better as well. And on the headers, like it's been said above, it totally depends on your other mods to just help get the full potential out of them. On a basically stock set-up though, it wouldn't have too much of an effect.
Exactly. On a bolt on car ditching the cats for a O/R X Pipe netted me 5 rwhp.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My current set up is a Roush supercharger with a 2.57 pulley on the M90, Steeda CAI, then stock manifold, cats, all the way back till the mufflers that are Flow masters. Wanted to know if the H pipe or X pipe would bolt right to the stock manifolds? Gotta pay off the $8000 credit card bill for all the mod including the GT500 fuel pump, 49lb injectors, plugs and 3.73 gears, (I have an auto :( first but looking ahead!

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
As long as you purchase a O/R midpipe meant to be used with the stock manifolds you'll be fine. Obviously there is going to be a difference between one for a stock manifold and the ones for a manufacture's longtube header. If you do get longtubes than you'll need to get that manufacture's midpipe as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts