Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So i want my car to run low 13's possibly 12's look stock and pass smog..... is this possible?

so far i have pulleys painted black a K&N wo/silencer 65mm tb/egr cooler port matched intake 1.7's and headers what else can i do

·
Registered
160 Posts
pick up a mag and you will see 800-900 hp street cars. some of which claim to pass smog and have a/c.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
whats a good mag to subscribe too ... i just bought my car couple of months ago... its my first car actually ...i would like to keep it appearing as stock as possible for right now and run low 13's maybe into the 12's

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
Smog's not that hard to pass.

Most heads are actually legal, most importantly, Trick Flow's are.

You can't have longtube headers so you'll lose out there.

Anything they can't see, they dont' have to know about. A radical cam will likely fail emissions (and be noticable to the smog tech), but a stroker kit will NEVER be noticed outside of slightly higher emissions (which will only fail you if you're right on the borderline anyway) so punch that thing out to a 347.

For what it's worth, I've NEVER seen a smog tech actually run the EO number on a part, so if you can find the firewall sticker for a similar part, I'd be flat shocked if there's a smog tech in the state that would catch it. (Of course, you're BONED on this one should you ever have to get the car reffed).

The flipside of this is that Cali has almost no laws regarding things outside of emissions - so you can do whatever you want suspension-wise. We also have no safety inspections, so go nuts with your weight reduction.

This site helps me when I'm scheming on my cars: Database: Aftermarket Parts Database of Executive Orders With it you can see exactly what is and isn't legal.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
I have around 450 and pass VA emissions. It is a visual and a two speed test on the dyno with the sniffer, I doubt dude was being technical and looking up exemption numbers though.

·
Registered
540 Posts
So i want my car to run low 13's possibly 12's look stock and pass smog..... is this possible?
Trick Flow TW heads, with stock cam you're there if suspension is in good shape.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
What state can afford to dyno all cars for testing?

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
It's not dynoing like I'm assuming you're thinking, where you'd end up with a hp chart. It's just to put a load on the engine and test the emissions at a set speed.

And to directly answer your question, the state doesn't pay for it, the person who's car is being tested does. I paid over $70 for my last emissions test.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
In VA, OBDII does not have to be sniff tested so for the most part, 96 and newer do not have to do the dyno load test.
There are only two emissions standards, California and non California. Each state adopts one or the other and creates the specifics like enforcement and testing requirements for their own state which gets approved by the EPA. PA and VA both use the non CA requirements but even with that, there are differences in what each checks and when. For example, in PA, you can be exempt from testing if you drive under 5000 miles in the last year. VA does not have that exception. PA testing is required once a year, VA is every two years. All of the requirements are based on the same federal standards and approved by the EPA but each is way different. Another area of confusion is the connection between enforcement and the checks. Even if you live an area that does not check periodically, it is still against federal law to alter your emissions equipment. Meaning, just because you don't have to get your car checked or you are exempt for some reason, it is still against the federal law to remove your cats or disable your EGR. Who would ever catch you? No idea.

·
Sheriff Metal Face
5,579 Posts
once you put collector plates or historical plates arent you exempt though?
I don't know about that. I would guess so, since that would require you to only drive it a certain amount of miles a year or whatever so the car wouldn't really be polluting much.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts