Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you with a whipple who has kept the ford tune with the HO kit? It seems that most just get a new dyno tune but isn't part of the benefit of this system is the provided (sort of) tune from frpp? I wouldn't mind down the road to get this done but is it a neccesity from the get go? As far as the power goes anything north of 450 rwhp on my otherwise stock 5 sp would be great for a while. Anybody with insight here please lay it on me......

·
Skirt Chasing Philanderer
14,391 Posts
I cant help you out on the whipple front as I run a procharger. But as far as the tunes that come with them. They pretty much suck, most people just use them as a crutch to get them by after the install before the dyno. A dyno tune is a must after going FI. You will get more hp and tq out of it. Plus a tune dyno will be set to your exact parameters as the supplied tune is very generic and safe...

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
the FRPP tune is good to drive, and is safe. probly give you in the range of 420 rwhp, which is a hell of a lot more than the stock GT. i'm getting a custom tune from VMP soon and we'll see how it is. if you spend 5k on a whipple 250 more for custom tune is nothing.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
who has before and after results from the supplied tune vs custom tune? I guess I am worried about finding a source locally to tune the car that I could not be worried about.

·
Boost gets you laid
2,625 Posts
the dyno tune may or may not give you a huge power gain, but it will be a lot safer on your engine.

·
Premium Member
39,159 Posts
05_mustang_kb_charged got a **** ton more HP and TQ out of a custom tune versus the canned KB tune.

·
Registered
818 Posts
You'll probably make more power, but thats not even the important part. Only an experienced tuner can make sure everythings set right and that the all important fuel to air ratio is where it should be. Think of it as protecting your investment

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I've been running the whipple / frpp tune since I had it installed in 2007 and I'm still very pleased with it, putting down a monster 470RWHP. If I wanted to down the road I would possibly go up a pulley size bringing it to 12psi and maybe do some dyno tuning. I'm very happy with having 470 with a conservative tune.

yes granted I will make more power with a dyno tune, but I want to be cautious especially with the internals. I want to see more custom whipple dyno results from other members on other boards to see what their feedback is before I do anything of that nature.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
here's my dyno results with the FRPP tune, i was only able to get 2 pulls. eventually sometime this year I will get another pull done, when I get my D/S installed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts