Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure where this should go but here goes. It's almost winter time and I'm going to be storing the stang in my extra garage. Is there anything I should do to it for storage or will it be fine to just let it sit in the garage? Im sure a dust cover is a must but what else would be a good idea?

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ive just read that fuel stabilizers and putting it on jacks is a good idea. What is with the fuel stabilizer and does the car need to be off the ground with the jacks or just to relieve the spring and tire tension?

I already knew i was going to be starting it once a week to keep the battery and engine fresh

·
Golf Pencil Kawk Juggler
2,421 Posts
Battery Trickle Charger. Put it away Clean. Put it on stands is a good idea.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What is a trickle charger?

·
Golf Pencil Kawk Juggler
2,421 Posts
Basically a battery charger that maintains your battery while it sits. Instead of a rapid charge it trickles.

·
Registered
535 Posts
If it's possible I'd start it once a week and let it run for 10 min or so.

·
Administrator
83,767 Posts
Store mine from November to April.

I take mine out every two to three weeks, drive it around the corner and put a few bucks of fresh 91 in it.

So, based off of that, this is my routine for putting her away.

-Oil & filter change
-Automatic trickle charger on the battery
-Check levels
-Clean, polish, and wax
-Stabil in gas tank
-Tire pressure check

Note the 'automatic' on the trickle charger. This denotes that the charger is automatically capable of regulating proper voltage and charge on the battery as levels fluctuate with temperatures and time. As it senses the battery voltage dropping, the charger will activate and charge the battery, and when the voltage in the battery reaches the proper level, the charger will shut down.

A manual charger will not shut off, and if left on will in all likelihood cause your battery to explode.

Now. If you're not going to take the car out like I do and run it at all, put the car up on jack stands to avoid flat spotting the tires.

Also put some rags in the tailpipes to avoid critters squatting in your exhaust system.

Some would suggest taking the battery out, but I prefer the trickle charger method. If you prefer taking the battery out, do not leave it sitting on a concrete floor, or anywhere in the house, or anywhere near a source of ignition. Batteries are capable of producing flammable gasses.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I just park mine on some 2x6 in the garage, stabil in the tank and i take it for a little run every now and then. I don't bother with the charger because I start it at least once a month.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I guess this is a good reason I live in Kalifornia... year round stang driving.

Don't they make stands you can drive your car onto that have cups in them so you don't flat spot your tires?

Like this:
Flat Stoppers - Race Ramps

Kinda expensive but I guess its easier than jack stands if you want to take it out once in a while during winter.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I would not put it on stands with the suspension hanging, unless you want it to look like a 4x4 when you lower it back down in the spring. To avoid flat spotting the tires, take it around the block every once and a while, or if you can't, jack it up and spin the tires. Trickle charger is good, unless you can start it and let it warm up/charge every week or two, which woudn't be a bad idea. I have heard that parking on a tarp helps prevent moisture seeping up through the ground from causing rust on stuff, but if you have a halfway decent slab in your garage it probably is not really needed.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OKay no one has answered my question on what stabil gas stabilizer actually does. Also like I said Im starting it up once a week and I should be able to get the tires to rotate around every now and then. So would a trickle really be needed if Im starting it once a week?

·
Golf Pencil Kawk Juggler
2,421 Posts
OKay no one has answered my question on what stabil gas stabilizer actually does. Also like I said Im starting it up once a week and I should be able to get the tires to rotate around every now and then. So would a trickle really be needed if Im starting it once a week?
Stabil keeps the gas fresh while it is sitting.

Bad - Gas = problems

If you start it once every two weeks and let it run and get warmed up, I dont see a great need for the trickle. but its definately reccomended so you keep the life of your battery up.

·
Premium Member
10,592 Posts
I have heard that parking on a tarp helps prevent moisture seeping up through the ground from causing rust on stuff, but if you have a halfway decent slab in your garage it probably is not really needed.
If you have a vapor barrier below your slab in the garage then it's probably fine. Concrete isn’t water tight and water goes through it very easily. If there's no vapor barrier below the slab water will seep through.

Stabil keeps the gas from seperating. If you don't put it in, you're going to have a fun time trying to start it next summer.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Change oil, add stabilizer (Stabil, Sea-Foam, etc.) to gas tank *before* topping up tank, drive a bit to distribute through fuel system, add 5 or so PSI to cold tire inflation rating, park on plastic tarp on garage floor. Leave alone until spring (Battery Tender not a bad idea, I just never get around to it)

Tire flat spots are a thing of the past w/ modern tires; unloading the suspension by putting on jackstands is a bad idea, starting once a week for 5 minutes a bad idea (just creates condensation that, exhaust especially, won't burn off unless you get it up to operating temp w/ a 20 minute drive)

Flatstoppers at $259??? You gotta be kidding me.

The above will get you through the few months of winter just fine. Now, if you were gonna store a car for a year or 10, well that's a different story. Then again, some like to still change their oil every 3000 miles but hey, the oil companies need to stay in business.

Don't overthink it; it's just a car not a chunk of deadly plutonium.

·
Premium Member
4,464 Posts
I've left my car a few months here and there. Didn't do anything at all. No flat spots, no problems with gas either. I would recommend to disconnect the battery. If you are going to store it for a year or longer it might be wise to add the stabilizer and put the car on jack stands.

·
MM's resident Juice head
7,913 Posts
i have a confession, i forgot to use stabil last year......i survived, but i also had the motor and fuel pump ripped out this winter...and again its going under the knife when i put her up this week... :( ****in winter...I put 2000 miles on her this summer....spending august in Pennsylvainia hurt me.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts