Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, My engine has been making a fairly strange whine noise every now and then, I can't make it do it manually, I can't repeat the steps, Although I can say it only tends to do it while under 2,000 RPM.

The engine is completely stock. I had a problem with the oil were I lost some oil pressure, but that resulted in an IMMEDIATE Nuetral -> Car turn-off scene, were I replaced the Oil sending unit aswell as the oil. Been fine ever since. Noted, this only happened at about 1.3k rpm

This sound although, has happened way before that. The first time I heard it... it killed my car. I was turning into a drive-way to turn around on a busy street. I heard the whine for about a second, before I noticed My car came to an IMMEDIATE stop, Upon trying to back out I noticed 2 things...
  • 1.) It was really hard to steer
  • 2.) The car was not on... ^Explains #1

The car started right up, had no issues with it for awhile, although it did worry me So i did some research, nothing was found.

I've heard the sound on and off while driving it around, usually tapping the gas pedal corrects it. I've never paid much attention to what was happening when the sound occured, because sometimes it happens for 2-3 seconds, sometimes 5-10.. I'm more or less attempting to make the "Explosion waiting to happen" whine stop.

I noticed today that while the whine was in progress all of the lights dimmed, headlights and inside, by a LOT.. and it was a fading dim.. not an instant, the longer the sound progressed the more they dimmed, granted this was a night so I could see it. The other times they were not. Needless to say I was watching the dimming guages and noting the RPM steadily dropping... 1000, 900, 600, 400, 200 --> I popped it into nuetral and hit the gas to bop the RPM back up, they came back up and the whine persisted, lowing the RPM at a retardedly quick rate... Instantly, it stopped. RPM Jumped up to normal, wheels caught and spun like a ticked off dragster, and it was fine the rest of the night.

What is this, what is causing it. I'm getting sick of worrying about it, and mechanics say they have never heard of it. I took it to one guy and he said the engine looked fine aswell as the car not doing anything the 3 times he drove it around.

This is truly... A pain in my ass.. :70:

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
I hate to say this. But my fairly accurate guess is a failing IAC. So many are so quick to yell IAC so I hate to even suggest it. However..... I don't think oil pressure, oil volume or anything else has to do with this. I think you probably had a bad oil pressure sending unit at one time as you described... but I think it was probably un-related. I have heard Idle Air Control valves howl, squeel and screech enough to alarm even me for a minute. You are describing idle issues and stalling issues (which I suspect are when your foot is off of the gas pedal) and my pretty educated guess is a failing IAC. A replacement will cost you around $100 at most parts stores.... many have cleaned them with brake cleaner repeteatedly and re-lubed them using a penetrating oil such as PB Blaster with good results. I have never had any luck with cleaning and re-lubing though, not to say you won't. Try cleaning and re-lubing the IAC and see where that gets you.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hate to say this. But my fairly accurate guess is a failing IAC. So many are so quick to yell IAC so I hate to even suggest it. However..... I don't think oil pressure, oil volume or anything else has to do with this. I think you probably had a bad oil pressure sending unit at one time as you described... but I think it was probably un-related. I have heard Idle Air Control valves howl, squeel and screech enough to alarm even me for a minute. You are describing idle issues and stalling issues (which I suspect are when your foot is off of the gas pedal) and my pretty educated guess is a failing IAC. A replacement will cost you around $100 at most parts stores.... many have cleaned them with brake cleaner repeteatedly and re-lubed them using a penetrating oil such as PB Blaster with good results. I have never had any luck with cleaning and re-lubing though, not to say you won't. Try cleaning and re-lubing the IAC and see where that gets you.
Woo-Hoo... That sounds fun. That howl sounds about right. Sweet... Yeah, not to mention it's an automatic vehicle. Stalling worries me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts