Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im hearing a strange noise from under the car when if moving. The noise sort of sounds like a bearing or something going out, would the driveshaft/carrier bearing make such a noise if it was going bad. The car has almost 70,xxx miles on it.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also i have noticed more clunking coming from under the car when your on and off the gas.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
The clunking could be a broken/missing upper 3rd link bushing (UCA) If that is broken/missing it likely would transmit more noise. Also, it sounds like you could have a ring and pinion noise which can give the on/off gas cluck sound if the gears are worn enough to create too much lash between teeth. If you have a driveshaft problem it's more likely to be a U-Joint which has some wear causing slop, noise, clunking and possible vibration.

Most of this can easily be inspected if you just get a ride on a lift at your favorite garage.

·
Administrator
83,767 Posts
The manual versions of these cars will always have some clunking when you get on and off the gas, especially with the stock driveshaft.

First place to start is where anthony said if you want to be sure or if this is a new noise.

I noticed driveline clunk in mine when it was new, and took it back to the dealer where nothing was found to be wrong. I have 55k miles on the car now and the noise is still there, but nothing has broken. It's only there if I don't shift smoothly or if I get on and off the throttle as you stated.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just recently installed BMR upper and lower control arms and had the rear end redone with 4.33 gears and all new bearings. I have only started to hear the noise after a few launches on the new set up.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And the shop has already tore the rear-end cover off and double checked all the measurements on the gears after break in and set the pinion angle.

·
Registered
277 Posts
At least you dont have the same noise I had. As soon as I turned on the car I heard a "woosh woosh woosh" sound coming from what seemed like under the hood. I was so worried that the supercharger was gonna explode and kill me some how. I had no idea what it was. My car was OOW and it was scary.

So I took it to my friend thats a tech and we went for a ride. Took us a while but we eventually figured the noise wasn't just when the car was on but also when the key is in Accessory. Eventually the tech reached over and found the noise and it was an easy fix. Forgot I had taken off my wiper arms. I had accidentally hit the wiper switch and the little knobs are turning and making the noise. Haha stupid me.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
My money goes on...it's the rear end work gone bad.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts