Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sooo,i have a shifting issue with my 05 gt mtx..... when shifting into 3rd gear it will grind and then go into gear... if i let the rpm's drop it will go in no problem.... it has 62k and hasnt had the trany fluid changed... also the car is really hard to steer since this happened.... in neutral the car will go into 3rd but obviously grinds.... please any help

·
Registered
2 Posts
Check your trans mounts.
As for the steering, I don't see them being related. Check your fluid level, Check hoses, and check the rack for any leaks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
they were a little low... seemed to help the 3rd gear a little..... do i have to jack the car up in order to check the tranny fluid level? the slower i put it in 3rd the less the grind.. but in w.o.t in third it holds dosent slip.. accelerated normally.... these run hydrolic cables rite?

·
Registered
927 Posts
Check the level if its ok then its more than likely an issue with the 3rd gear blocker ring, 3650s seem to have alot of issues with them a tranny shop would pry recommend replacing all of them as a kit. Can be a fairly spendy repair unless you did it yourself which pry isnt an option.

·
Registered
927 Posts
what exactly does a blocker ring do? and how hard are they to replace.... is it a must to replace all of them?
it grabs the speed gear and syncronizes the speed of the mainshaft and speed gear so that the syncro sleeve can slide over the gear. Usually if its not popping out of gear you can get away with just replacing the blocker ring itself. You would only need to replace the one you are having issues with they are not hard to work on if you have the right tools and a service manual. The transmission would have to be out of the vehicle of course.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts